Herbs/plants that are chicken-friendly?

Erin_R

In the Brooder
May 13, 2020
Today was day 1 of starting construction of our coop! When it's complete, I'd like to add a long narrow garden box in front of the run. The garden would be outside the run, but right against it. What plants/herbs/maybe veggie plants would you recommend that are hardy and safe for the occasional chicken nibble?

Today was day 1 of starting construction of our coop! When it's complete, I'd like to add a long narrow garden box in front of the run. The garden would be outside the run, but right against it. What plants/herbs/maybe veggie plants would you recommend that are hardy and safe for the occasional chicken nibble?
I did some research. I planted lemon balm, marigolds, red clover, thyme, marjoram, parsley, mint (which my chickens dont like), This is my coop setup. I have a greenhouse that will grow all those wonderful herbs and veggies that they love over the winter. I also planted flowers and herbs around the pen for them to peck at. The only problem with this they will totally eat it all up if it's too close to the fence. I hand pick grass and clover from the yard. I also have a lot of flowers I pick as well. Greens from the veggie garden. (I have read they cant eat the leaves from broccoli, peppers and tomatoes. but they can eat the veggie. Also NO greenbeans. I do put lavender/marigolds in the nesting boxes. I read it deters bugs and mice. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20200827_110252.jpg
    20200827_110252.jpg
    858.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200827_110239.jpg
    20200827_110239.jpg
    835 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom