Hercules - Peacock Type?

Jul 19, 2021
Hiya, I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of what type of peacock Hercules might be! When he was a chick he had the black-shoulder coloring for a black shoulder India Blue.

Athina.jpg
IMG_5301.jpg
IMG_5299.jpg
Athina(2).jpg

Now he's older, approximately... almost a year old and he looks like this:
IMG-5298.PNG
IMG-5297.PNG
IMG-5296.PNG
IMG-5295.PNG
IMG-5294.jpg

I personally think he's a pied black shoulder, india blue peacock. But I wanted to ask around to make sure my inquiries are correct. The feathers coming in on his tail are white, not green, like a normal India blue.

The lady I got Hera and Hercules from had India Blue (apparently black shoulder as well), Spaldings, Whites, Oatmeal/Cameo and maybe even Peach. Pieds and White-eyes as well ^-^

Thanks,
White Valley Acres

Last edited:
The only indication of a white gene is the white train feathers and the splattering on his chest. He has no white throat patch, or white on the wings so that rules out WE and Pied. Not enough white to be split Pied or White. He could be either Dark Pied or split SP. The bird in my pic is split Silver Pied, your bird might be also but I am leaning towards Dark Pied. If you spread the wing and find white secondaries then he is Dark Pied.
IMG_2384.JPG

BTW, Oatmeal is actually Oaten, a term that was used for Cameo Black Shoulder hens because of their color which is much like the color of oats. I also included a Cameo Black Shoulder cock at two years of age. Oaten is not used much in the peafowl world and not many people will know when you use it. Personally, I really like the Oaten hens.
IMG_2985 (2).JPG
IMG_2949.JPG
IMG_2951.JPG
IMG_2910.JPG

BTW, Oatmeal is actually Oaten, a term that was used for Cameo Black Shoulder hens because of their color which is much like the color of oats. I also included a Cameo Black Shoulder cock at two years of age. Oaten is not used much in the peafowl world and not many people will know when you use it. Personally, I really like the Oaten hens. View attachment 3023432View attachment 3023434View attachment 3023436View attachment 3023440
I didn't know that! Thank you! The lady I got them from had oatmeal listed in the craigslist ad, so I assumed. I love the Cameo and Oaten peacocks! I was hoping to buy a couple a bit back and raise them from hatch, but never did! Hercules and Hera I got as week olds, but they've turned out very tame after some treats! Your photos are beautiful!

I'll try and see if I can spot any white feathers on his wings when he stretches them out, they're not quite comfortable enough for me to pick up or catch yet.

Back
Top Bottom