Here ChickChickChick!

WhispersHeart

Hatching
Apr 7, 2016
Amarillo, Texas
Just about 9 months or so ago my husband had a friend that was moving into town and had 15 chickens and 2 roosters that needed a place to go... and that is how we became chicken owners. For the most part they have been very low maintenance. We live outside the city limits so I let them free range through the day last summer. They thought it was grand to play hide-and-seek with their eggs and got overly comfortable with their surroundings and decided to visit the neighbors garden and pulled the stuff she had built up around her trees regularly, so I have had to keep them cooped up. We made it through our first winter okay and I decided I'd like to get some baby chicks at the feed store. Unfortunately my Yorkie decided to make one of them a play toy while we were gone one day. :-( We still have two baby Turkins though and they are cute as can be. :) I have been thinking we could maybe hatch some of our own eggs and raise some chickens for the meat which is what brought me to this website. I look forward to becoming a part of this community and can see how it could monopolize hours of my day if I don't monitor the time spent reading. :)

welcome-byc.gif

Sorry for your loss. I'm really shocked to hear so many toy breeds, chihuahuas, yorkies,, mini doxies etc, are the ones killing off chicks. I used to think only large dog did it.

It's best if chickens & dogs never meet.

Thank you. Roscoe is a full size Yorkie but still.. he barks at the older chickens but they don't put up with him. It's almost comically to watch the roosters get onto him.

Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. I'm sure that you will enjoy yourself here on BYC, and yes, its very addictive. I am not on any other social media or sites, and its a good job because i seem to spend at least 3 hours a day here on BYC!
smile.png

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom