Here comes the FLOOD!

I have my DH's computer which has a cellular connection, so I can usually access the internet somewhat slowly, even though I cannot get a strong enough signal to talk on the cell phone. We have gotten the land line number changed over to the Annex, so not quite so isolated, although at times that was a blessing! I just wish we could get DSL, but it is not available in our area.

Here are some pictures from yesterday's boat trip and guinea feeding trip.The water is cresting at this time and we should not be getting much higher, if at all. On the back porch I had quite a step down to the surface, and had to wear my hip waders, as the water was at or above my knees. What we are watching now is the rains moving into the Ohio Valley, which could extend the drop time, or even cause a new crest. Here is the front of the house, coming in.

10901_house_front.jpg

And here is the front porch. you can see our fridge on it's side. We have been told that sometimes you can set them back up straight and let them set for a day before starting them up and they will work. We hope. We have aabout decided to try to bring the fridge to the Annex since it is obviously we will be here for a while. With the new barred Holland Flock, and weaning the goats, we really need the extra fridge space.
10901_front_porch.jpg

The side of the house, water is now up to the bottom rail.
10901_side_of_house.jpg

The back of the house with the smaller boat docked on the porch
10901_back_of_house.jpg

The neighbor's house again, the water is up to the middle of the bottom window pane, much deeper than our house.
10901_neighbor_house.jpg

Jen, when I wa a household mover, we would place refridgerators on their sides (and worse), haul them 1000 miles, tell the shipper to wait 24 hours to plug in and they always worked. I would leave it on its side. Better on its side then at the foot of the stairs!

I thought as I was reading these posts, I can not fathom the power of Mother Nature can be and you could not control it at all.

Whats good was you are strong and and hopefully things will settle down. Imagine mosquitos and gators coming up for a visit.

I don't know if flood insurance are all that great. Our home owners insurance does not cover flooding insurance nor carry it. I have to carry it under the Government flood program if we ever get flooded out from our basement....it does not have a stump pump but leaks here and there which they do drain eventually. Stanky down there.

Last edited:
One of the things that comes along with the flood waters is buffalo gnats. Every year at approximately this time we are afflicted, sometimes worse than others. They have been accumulating and becoming a little bothersome. Between 8am and noon today, they killed 5 young chickens. Three pullets were already dead in the cage, and the three cockerels were covered in hundreds of the gnats. The pullets' first eggs were in the feed pan. We grabbed the cockerels out of the cage to carry themj out to the barn, which doesn't have as many gnats. Two of them died before we could get to the barn. I think it must be a toxic thing. They can suffocate them, but these had clear airways. I took a picture of the skin on the back of the neck under the hackles of the rooster that made it.

10901_buffalo_gnat_1.jpg

I was going to clean them, but the gnats swarmed off of them biting me so bad I couldn't do it.

I planned a shopping trip in part to buy some vanilla, which works as a repellant for the gnats, but it was shortened by the realization that I had a 4 o'clock meeting to attend. I stopped in the Drug store/gift shop to pick up some medicine for DH. and there in the discount bin was a framed writing on glass that I can only assume was left there just for me It read: "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to Dance in the Rain"

Jenjscott, sorry you lost your chickens to the gnats. This is something I never thought about. Just mosquitos. My Mom sent me that saying last year when I was going through a really hard time. It speaks volumes. I hope you and yours are hanging in there through this mess. Has the water even started to recede yet?

Back
Top Bottom