Here I go again...Roo or Hen?

Crunchie

Brook Valley Farm
12 Years
Mar 1, 2007
Maryland
I posted pics of these Easter Eggers at about 9 weeks, and they all looked like hens then. They are about 3 1/2 months now, and I've got a very suspicious one (or two) in the bunch!!

I have 7 total, and all of their combs look exactly the same--barely existent. But all of the sudden (really, in the last week or so) this one sprouted a long curved tail feather and started growing some pointy feathers elsewhere,and overall just looks "roo-ish" to me:

DSCF0207.jpg

And then there's this one. Its body shape still says "hen" to me, but I can't tell if its tail is curving or if its just ratty from changing/growing new feathers:

DSCF0209.jpg

I've got someone who may want to buy my extra hens, but they really don't need any roos! We probably won't chance it on the first one, but this second one? What do you guys think--the eternal question--Roo or Hen?

This is the second chicken again, back at 9 weeks, just for comparison. Looks all hen to me, but I know that doesn't always mean anything that early:
DSCF0197.jpg

They all look really ratty and moth-eaten right now, they're all changing and growing new feathers, so it's really hard to distinguish (for me, anyway) their body shape/type. Every time I look at them they look different, and every time I look at my two "suspects" I change my mind...maybe it's a hen, maybe it's a roo...I can't tell!!! Help!

In your 2nd pic, the 3 on the right look like boys (the one in the back with the curlie tail, the splash colored one and the one in the front). The two on the left look like girls.

Jody

Ugh. Yep, now I'm thinking I might have 3 boys out of the bunch. That big splash that you pointed out, Jody--when I went back out to the coop I noticed that his/her comb is the biggest and most red out of the whole bunch. I was really partial to that one, I was really hoping it was a hen! It's the sweetest thing! Guess I should just be patient and wait and see...eventually they'll crow or lay and I'll know for sure! But I'm being impatient and I want to know now!!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom