Here in northcentral Arkansas, it's vanilla scent time again

Good luck! I'd spray the f ers non stop til they all died.
Thanks! That is what we plan to do as well! Wish I knew where they go at night, I'd wipe them all out in one shot. 🤪

**unless they are not like wasps that go back to a specific area, that's what I had in mind when I was thinking this, haha.

Last edited:
I am having the exact same problem in Morrilton AR. I have a fan pointing toward their roosting bar, it seems to help a lot. I am also spraying apple cider vinegar diluted with water. That does not help at ALL. I will have to try vanilla. They do seem to bother the rooster a lot more than the hens. Did you treat yours for mites? My friend says mites will cause gnats but it sounds like they get the chickens anyway. If anyone finds a solution, PLEASE SHARE!!!! I HATE these little bugs! :mad::smack:rant:he:barnie

I am having the exact same problem in Morrilton AR. I have a fan pointing toward their roosting bar, it seems to help a lot. I am also spraying apple cider vinegar diluted with water. That does not help at ALL. I will have to try vanilla. They do seem to bother the rooster a lot more than the hens. Did you treat yours for mites? My friend says mites will cause gnats but it sounds like they get the chickens anyway. If anyone finds a solution, PLEASE SHARE!!!! I HATE these little bugs! :mad::smack:rant:he:barnie
I haven't seen any evidence of mites, so I haven't treated them for that. But some of my chickens dust bathe themselves so they may be preventing it.

Same, they were bothering my roosters more than the hens. I had 40+ on one rooster alone. Couldn't see his beautiful blue tail feathers for these things. All over his face too. It's terrible! Two of my roosters who used to get along with each other think the other is the cause of their pain so they are now trying to kill each other and may have to sell one of them, which is killing me because I love them both. All because of these gnats. Ugh!

I had no idea mine may have mites, but it is an easy fix/prevention, just mix some diatomaceous earth with their food and put a little in their dust bath. It is not expensive and it is easy to use.

Back
Top Bottom