Here is a great video on how to build a chicken coop.

Bullitt

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 16, 2012
Texas
Here is a great video on how to build a chicken coop.

If you can not free range your chickens, a run could be built on to this coop.

He is putting a lot of young chickens in this coop. But it is just for the chickens to sleep in at night, and the chickens range during the day.

I see a few things that might be not such great advice....but that's often the way on the net.

-Chicken wire is not varmint proof.
-Those roost pole notches don't look real secure-especially with the 'pine poles', bunch of birds bouncing around could knock them off the notches.
-Not sure 1/2" hardware cloth will allow poops to 'fall' thru, alot of it would probably have to be scraped thru.

I make these assertions from reading of other's real life experiences here and on other forums for hours per day for the last year or so.

It seems to be to be more of a video of a possible design someone might use. Sadly, it won't work for me in Minnesota...

I see a few things that might be not such great advice....but that's often the way on the net.

-Chicken wire is not varmint proof.
-Those roost pole notches don't look real secure-especially with the 'pine poles', bunch of birds bouncing around could knock them off the notches.
-Not sure 1/2" hardware cloth will allow poops to 'fall' thru, alot of it would probably have to be scraped thru.

I make these assertions from reading of other's real life experiences here and on other forums for hours per day for the last year or so.

The chicken wire was only used up high. He pointed out that a raccoon can't climb the smooth siding to get that high.

The roost poles should be secured by tying them on with string or something.

You would probably have to use a broom to clean off the hardware cloth once in a while. But much of the chicken waste would fall through.

It seems to be to be more of a video of a possible design someone might use. Sadly, it won't work for me in Minnesota...

You could use it in a cold area. You can cover the chicken wire up high with plastic sheeting during the colder part of the year. You can also line the bottom with straw during the colder part of the year. You could also add insulation.

In the video it is in the South. I am not sure, but he may be in Arkansas.

I liked the idea of a movable coop with a wire bottom that allowed chicken waste to fall through. Of course it won't meet everyone's needs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom