Here is my coop design * Building today *.. Picture .. *

XL506

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
Ohio
Well guys I am going to finish my coop today. I was going to build a coop / nesting area but I had the kennel, and I found a buddy who built a big doghouse for his 2 large dogs and they never used it, so I am going to attach to the kennel / free run. here is my design I did in microsoft paint. It took like 20 minutes lol. Let me know what you think. Keep in mind I only have 4 hens, and dont plan on ever getting more than 8.

( Sorry you cant make out the text well.. The free run area ( kennel ) will be 10ft wide x 8 ft deep x 4 high and the Nesting / coop area ( doghouse ) is 4ft wide x 3ft deep x 3ft high with 1ft x 1ft nesting boxes )

coopdes.jpg

Last edited:
Im making the " roof " on hinges so I can lift, and LIFT lol. And I am from New Carlisle Ohio.. Close to Dayton, Springfield, Huber heights..

If the house is 4 by 3, then that's 12 sq feet. That would be big enough for 3 to 4 birds at most. (If you go by the 4 sq feet per bird.) If that's how may birds are in there, then you wouldn't need that many nest boxes. One or two would be plenty. You could open up some space by removing at least one of the boxes....

Quote:
You could always get 'shock lifts' (or whatever they're called).
roll.png
Meaning the lifters for mini van back doors. Getting them at a junk yard or salvaging them from an old vehicle is even cheaper. It'd make lifting easier
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom