Here is my coop design * Building today *.. Picture .. *

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by XL506, Jul 25, 2008.

1. XL506

XL506 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2008
    Ohio
    Well guys I am going to finish my coop today. I was going to build a coop / nesting area but I had the kennel, and I found a buddy who built a big doghouse for his 2 large dogs and they never used it, so I am going to attach to the kennel / free run. here is my design I did in microsoft paint. It took like 20 minutes lol. Let me know what you think. Keep in mind I only have 4 hens, and dont plan on ever getting more than 8.

( Sorry you cant make out the text well.. The free run area ( kennel ) will be 10ft wide x 8 ft deep x 4 high and the Nesting / coop area ( doghouse ) is 4ft wide x 3ft deep x 3ft high with 1ft x 1ft nesting boxes )

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  2. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks nice~~are the nest boxes easily accessible for gathering all those eggs??

I'm curious--what part of Ohio are you located?

3. XL506

XL506 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2008
    Ohio
    Im making the " roof " on hinges so I can lift, and LIFT lol. And I am from New Carlisle Ohio.. Close to Dayton, Springfield, Huber heights..

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Looks good! [​IMG] Be sure to post pics when you get it done. Happy building! [​IMG]

5. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    If the house is 4 by 3, then that's 12 sq feet. That would be big enough for 3 to 4 birds at most. (If you go by the 4 sq feet per bird.) If that's how may birds are in there, then you wouldn't need that many nest boxes. One or two would be plenty. You could open up some space by removing at least one of the boxes....

6. MrsCountryChick

MrsCountryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    PA
    Quote:You could always get 'shock lifts' (or whatever they're called). [​IMG] Meaning the lifters for mini van back doors. Getting them at a junk yard or salvaging them from an old vehicle is even cheaper. It'd make lifting easier [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by