Here is my space, time to plan!

So our plans this summer include either removing this old tree or pruning it so more branches don't fall during storms. The spot on the ground with the leaves I'm planning a raised garden bed there. I'm wanting to tear down that old shed as the roof is caving and it is rotting. We are also placing a privacy fence around these two sides of our property as we live on a corner of two street.

Once the tall fence is put up I am wanting a shorter garden fence going from the garage door to the wall so that I can let the birds roam more in supervised. How many hens would you all say could fit in this back area confortably?
20180307_071407.jpg
20180307_071333.jpg
20180307_071351.jpg

If that tree is old and ailing, might be good to take it down before you build a chicken coop/run.

How many hens would you all say could fit in this back area comfortably?
There are no hard numbers. Bird population is dictated more by coop size anyway.
I commented on your coop design thread.

Will reiterate....go bigger and walk in, plenty tall for you is good for ventilation.

What are the dimensions of the area? The old shed you are planning to tear down, is just the roof caving in? How are the walls and floor? May be easier and cheaper to re-roof and make that into your coop. Putting a new roof on isn't really that big of an undertaking. If the rafters are rotten/damaged, use the rafter itself as a pattern to make the replacement. Figure on 4sqft of floor space in the coop, and at least 10sqft of run per chicken. So, 10 standard chickens = ~40sqft coop (8x5) and 100sqft of run minimum. I like to have extra space, for the chickens and the chicken math (it happens).
We built my coop 8x12 plus an attached 600sqft fully enclosed run for when the hawks and eagles get too thick. Right now we have 23 chickens, but we free range most days weather permitting. Most of this winter, basically December-February, the chickens stayed inside the coop and run. We didn't free range due to the hawks. We were glad we had plenty of space for them to roam around and not fight or pull feathers.

I don' know the exact dimensions of this area. I am hiring someone this spring to check the tree to see whether it needs removed or just pruned. As for the shed it' rotting out, I may be able to repurpose sections of it but it is molding and just falling apart.

I'm planning on building a coop with an enclosed run for 6-10 hens but I want to fence this area in as well to help promote good health so they can range in a larger space occasionally. I was just curious if you all thought this little nook in my backyard would be a nice spot for them

I was just curious if you all thought this little nook in my backyard would be a nice spot for them
I don't see why not....look at water run off from surrounding area and roof so run or coop doesn't get flooded.
Would be nice if tree could stay as it probably provides good shade in summer.

Is the old shed on a concrete floor or foundation?

Back
Top Bottom