Here is my Torihamu!!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by marymac, Nov 14, 2011.

1. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    How to make Torihamu:

3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 large ziplock bag
    6 tablespoons honey (you can use brown sugar, molasses, or reg white sugar)
    3 tablespoons salt (I used kosher)
    Mix all the marinade ingredients in the ziplock bag.
    Pat dry the chicken breasts. At this point you can add what ever spices you think you may like. I added 2 tablespoons liquid smoke and some cracked pepper. Some like crushed rosemary or thyme…your choice.
    Place chicken breasts into bag and squish around well to coat. Work out all the air and seal. Place in fridge for 48 hours.After 48 hours, rinse off the brine, and soak in water for 1 hour
    Pat dry. At this point you may add a little more seasoning if you think it needs it. I just added a little more pepper.
    Now you can tie it up with twine into a roll. I didn’t have any so I used crochet thread. Just be sure it is cotton thread. I’ve never done this so don’t laugh at my tie job. Ha! Just do the best you can.Lay it in a pan. I used foil and sprayed a little non stick just to be safe. Bake it uncovered at 235 degree for about 1 hour. It will look like it isn’t done, but it probably will be. I cut into the thickest part to make sure, because I don’t own a meat thermometer. But if you can check it that way, and if it registers 165°F, it should be done.
    Let it cool slightly, then wrap in foil and let get cold in fridge.
    This makes great sandwiches at a lot less cost of deli chicken or turkey. Use it in salads, pot pies, wherever it call for chicken. This turns out fine grained, much like ham. I know I will be making more of this. Now I’m thinking turkey breast, and maybe buffalo chicken breast, the flavors are endless. Here is what it looks like when it's done

[​IMG]

2. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Wow, sounds like a great recipe, thanks for sharing it.

3. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    What an interesting concept!! I did a quick google search & got some more info and this looks like something I might try.

4. Debbiedodo

Debbiedodo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    White Cloud, MI
    Love this. I am always looking for something better and less expensive for lunch time sandwiches. Thanks for sharing.

5. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Marymac, thanks for posting this. I definitely plan to try it. I found a similar recipe for curing pork on a blog: Wild Ed's Texas Outdoors under buckboard and canadian bacon. I have also seen on cooking shows how they cure their own meat for resurants. I am definitly going to try this, maybe with a turkey breast also.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  6. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I was real pleased with the way this turned out. Hardest part is waiting the 48 hrs. I bet the pork would be real good, just might have to give that a try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by