Here we go again, getting the bator's ready

Steve_of_sandspoultry

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
Eastern North Carolina
I spent a couple hours today getting one of our Sportsmans ready for 2011. Washed the trays, scrubbed out the inside, took the back off and blew all the dust out of the fan motor and turner motor. This weekend I'll do same to the other one and do a temp check on them. We have had some people asking for chicks already so I guess it's time.
smile.png

Steve

Well, I actually took 10 days off, but doing a custom hatch now and oops, going to be my favorite lady with silkies tomorrow, so I'll be going to get a few silkies and then slow down for a while. I do not like winter brooders, but I'll be guilty soon as those Turkey eggs start rolling in and when those Coronation sussex are rolling also!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reminds me I need to get a new thermostat ordered tomorrow! Here we go again!

Yard full o' rocks :

Setting LF Columbian Rocks TOMORROW. ( I got a great trio from Canada via the Ohio Nationals)

Anyone have suggestions for winter time brooding? I am in NW Ga, but due to allergies MUST brood outside

THANKS

I made an addition on one of our barns just for brooding. I insulated the building well and inside made three 4 foot square boxes with the sides about 3 feet high out of plywood. With a 250 watt heat lamp down in the boxes they stay pretty warm. I also made a smaller box more like 2 x 2 for day olds. We still keep them inside for a week-ish but they would probably do just as good outside. Another reason I keep them inside is I use sand in the outside brooders and it's colder than pine shavings.

Steve​

I tried something different this winter. I built a normal size brooder box, but added a lid, some lights and a hotwater heater thermostat. The lid has a glass top from an office desk. The thermostat only goes down to 90*F which works fine for very young chicks. I used 2 60watt bulbs for a heat source. The light fixture was the cheapest outside flood light I could find, the kind you find hanging outside in the corner of your roof with two lightbulbs. I did run into a few problems with this setup. Placeing a waterjug inside the brooder box kept everything fogged up and damp. I solved that problem by just propping up the lid a couple of inches. I plan on drilling some holes around the top of the box to evacuate the humidity before using it again, but other than that no real problems. I used it to keep dayolds in an unheated building with outside temps in the teens. They all survived so I figure my setup works. Of course the chicks out grew the box, but now they are running around on the floor of the building with just a couple of 60watt bulbs hanging about 18inches from the floor.

Back
Top Bottom