Here we go again - I'm hatching more goslings!!

rolled oats is just oatmeal right? I have a couple of bucks on keeping keys by chris ashton, they recommend feeding wheatk what are your thoughts on this? will wheat harm them or is it good

aaa, good luck with finding a mate for willow at the place you found!

I buy rolled oats at my feed store in 50 lb bags for $12. I also get crimped barley in 50lb bags and mix with the oats. In cold temps, I add whole kernel corn to the mix. I have not fed them wheat.

aaa... I feed wheat to the adults. Actually everything we feed is listed on the farms website. I update it as we make changes. Rolled and crimped oats are cheaper in bulk from the feed store rather than feeding old fashioned oats. (quacker quick oats is not the same) I don't buy crimped ever as they are always over priced and we have whole and rolled always available. We feed no corn of any kind, whole, cracked ect. The feeds have enough (too much actually) in them. We feed no scratch grains now either because of the large portion of corn. There are enough fertility issues in Sebbies without adding the fat corn packs on to the situation. We also don't live where it ever gets cold and we have grass for grazing year round. Have fun looking at the goslings today.

thanks for all your help guys I want to take good care of the baby geese, sometimes things get a little confusing on what you should and should not do. excited to look at the babies not sure I'm going to buy, I have to make sure they look perfect

aaa... I feed wheat to the adults. Actually everything we feed is listed on the farms website. I update it as we make changes. Rolled and crimped oats are cheaper in bulk from the feed store rather than feeding old fashioned oats. (quacker quick oats is not the same) I don't buy crimped ever as they are always over priced and we have whole and rolled always available. We feed no corn of any kind, whole, cracked ect. The feeds have enough (too much actually) in them. We feed no scratch grains now either because of the large portion of corn. There are enough fertility issues in Sebbies without adding the fat corn packs on to the situation. We also don't live where it ever gets cold and we have grass for grazing year round.
Have fun looking at the goslings today.
Celtic, have you tried fermenting your grains? I've been reading about it in the meat bird group, and have been considering it for the geese, as they are now getting raw grains.

Hey Celtic, how are you doing today?

I noticed that wing issue guy has worn his feathers on the wing off, and while he can't fold it up, it isn't dragging anymore either. (for now)

I've been thinking about you today.

Ok well today I learned the meaning of a wild goose chase whew, I wont go into all the details but what I thought was a 3 hour away spot to look at the geese ended up being 5 and with a stop on the way home in Temecula to say a quick hello to my kid, I ended up being on the road 11 and 1/2 hours. the goose that was 2 months old had both wings sticking out at 90 degree angles poor thing, but the one that was supposed to be a month old looks fine and healthy so now we have Winnie! I think she is younger though because she is much smaller and doesn't have nearly as many feathers developing as Willow does and he is 4 weeks old. I am going to hope that Winnie is a girl she is quite a bit darker on her back than Willow was. even though you cant realy tell at this age.
Celtic thanks for the advice I picked her up and looked he over and watched her walk around and she sounds fine and looks fine except for being a bit dirty because of the dirt pen she was in, also the food advice I have read it on your website and am going to read it again as well. I am picking up a bag of rolled outs at feed store on Friday when my next bag of Mazuri comes in .

Ok NOW WHAT do I do with her we bonded on the way home and she has to be within touching distance to me or she gets upset!!! I WILL NOT sleep with her lol, Not sure how long I should wait before introducing her to Willow.

Back
Top Bottom