Here we go again...Update

cthrash1

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Somerset, KY
My Silkie(Belle) has been in the nest since Monday, no egg under her, She lays in there all day and night then in the morning when the hatch is opened she runs out gets a long drink, eats, then goes back and lays in the nest. Monday she laid an egg, stayed on the nest most of the day. I went to check for the 2nd time that day for eggs and she was off of it drinking so I thought she was done and took the egg. Tuesday and the rest of the week has been the first description about eating and drinking and she goes back and lays on no egg and hasn't laid any either. Maybe I'll give her egg back to her tomorrow...What do you all think?

I am up way too late tonight, Cindy

Last edited:
I think I'll give her egg back to her and then one or two Monday if she's still there...Gotta go to TSC now and get some little bowls to hang in front of her nest for food and water I guess.

Well, I gave Belle her egg back...She laid it Sunday and I took it on Monday...She hasn't laid any since and has stubbornly been on an empty nest all week so I gave it back. I'm sure she'll be a good mommy if it hatches. At least she has the sense to go out and get a good long drink in the mornings and fill her crop with food. Gonna go to TSC and buy her one of those little feed/water cups to hang on the front of her nest opening and put a little bowl of food in the corner so she doesn't have to go out. Gonna take a flap off the ducks doghouse and attach it in front of her nestbox as well since two of the younger chickens keep climbing in with her at night to cuddle...I have to keep moving them every night.

Back
Top Bottom