1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Here we go again....... Which Breed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by comp6512, Nov 2, 2009.

1. comp6512

comp6512 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    This probably has been asked a gazzilion times. But hard to search all the posts, so please kindly help a perspective newbie.

Need to decide on a duck breed. Here's the criteria:

1. Need to be available from a standard hatchery (like McMurray, Ideal, etc)

2. Preferably not a flying duck, but that's not a big issue as the wings can be clipped.

3. NOT noisey - our lots are only 100 ft wide, so I don't want a lot of neighbour enemies

4. NOT able to climb the fences (that's why I am giving up on muscovies)

Basically I need a "pig" duck that grows fast and not too much trouble. Don't care about the eggs, but would like them to hatch and care for the babies.
    Our whole family loves duck meat, so would like to raise some ducks for the table.

2. As far as the noisy question, there are differences with individual ducks within the breeds. I ordered day olds sexed females from Ideal this spring and when they found their quacks I discovered one quacked all the time, one quacked a lot, and one hardly quacked at all. Guess which one I kept? [​IMG]

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Your yard in a bit bigger than mine. I have 7 ducks now though I am trying to find a home for an extra drake. Anyway, as far as noise, you DO NOT want buffs. I had one that would just stand in the yard and squawk for 20-30 minutes straight at the top of her lungs for no apparent reason. I sold her! LOL

I had a couple of khaki's at one time and they weren't that loud.

The runner I have is relatively quiet. She makes a lot of honk noises, but they are not that obnoxious.

My Welsh Harlequins CAN be noisy, but usually it is only when I am late letting them out in the morning or if something really scares them. They are quieter than the neighbor's dogs. And as they mature they seem to get quieter. They were much mouthier as ducklings. The 7 Welsh Harlequins together are still not as loud as that one buff [​IMG]

If you want a good broody and a meat duck, I would say try the Welsh Harlequins. Khakis and Runners just aren't meaty enough. If it turns out you get a big mouth, eat that one first [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  4. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    WH in this case i belive would be the best for you

5. smurfboe

smurfboe Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    Phillipston, MA
    Quote:That is so funny, I have one Buff female and if she even thinks she sees me or my hubby she starts the loud quaking that I swear could be heard three states away. I love my twirppy though so she stays. My other three are Cayauga's and are relatively quiet.

6. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    our indian runners never peep.....nothing. So different from the call ducks

7. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    My Welsh Harlequins are pretty quiet.. Except in the morning Daisy is quacking to be let out... Amy is very quiet... I had a pair of cayugas and they were quiet too.. Daisy also quacks when she hears our voices or something isn't right .. But that isn't very often.. STanley the male is really quiet..
    you can order them from metezers out of california... and for alittle bit more they will sex them..

8. JoshSnape

JoshSnape Chillin' With My Peeps

I have khakis and they are awesome. They can lay up to 350+ and are very quiet, they are not known to fly and the do not jump fences. This would be the best breed for u. I got some new onces 3 weeks ago and they already eat out my hand, jump on my shoulder and sit on my lap. They ARE THE BEST BREED FOR U!!!!!

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    She wants them for meat, not eggs, and she wants them to go broody. Khaki's are small and don't normally brood their own eggs. I agree they are great ducks, they just don't fit the qualifications she needs.

10. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    What about rouens?? Don't know muchabout them though! Pekins are good brooders not very noisy meat breed and lay alot of eggs as well if you feed them good they will more then likely not fly to heavy expecially if you get the giant veriety that hatcheries offer

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by