Here we go....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick update.
Started treatment. However.

Yesterday I took the chick from outside to eat some food, and noticed he kept dribbling.
He was eating, drinking, ect.

I watched him for a while, then put him back with his mother.
Later, I found a dropping of his. With blood in.
A little while after that, I thought I saw some in his mother's droppings.

I cannot treat them all with that tiny, ineffective bottle.
And I don't want to lose any of them.

Then this morning I saw the Wyandotte dribbling.

Only once, but enough to make me worry.
One chick dribbling and I might think he just drank too much water at once. Two, no.

Yesterday I took the chick from outside to eat some food, and noticed he kept dribbling.
He was eating, drinking, ect.

I watched him for a while, then put him back with his mother.
Later, I found a dropping of his. With blood in.
A little while after that, I thought I saw some in his mother's droppings.
Then this morning I saw the Wyandotte dribbling.
One chick dribbling and I might think he just drank too much water at once. Two, no.
Did you happen to get some photos of the poop?

Dribbling - you mean water coming back out of the beak?
Is grit provided free choice for the chicks?

Check their crops first thing in the morning before they eat/drink - the crop should be empty after sleeping all night. If you find they still have food/water in the crop, then let us know.

That's another thing I noticed and forgot to say.
When the chick was dribbling-the outside one- I had only just taken him out.
He hadn't had water OR food that morning, I literally took him from his shed to the house, and he started dribbling. And his crop didn't feel empty, no. Slightly full.
Not sure about the other two. This is their last night in. I'll monitor.
They pick up grit because they all range in a part of the garden.

Yes, I mean water coming out of the beak. He wasn't throwing up, quite. You know when they put their heads down to peck something and saliva comes out of their mouths.
I think I got photos, I'll see if I can find them.

That's another thing I noticed and forgot to say.
When the chick was dribbling-the outside one- I had only just taken him out.
He hadn't had water OR food that morning, I literally took him from his shed to the house, and he started dribbling. And his crop didn't feel empty, no. Slightly full.
Not sure about the other two. This is their last night in. I'll monitor.
They pick up grit because they all range in a part of the garden.

Yes, I mean water coming out of the beak. He wasn't throwing up, quite. You know when they put their heads down to peck something and saliva comes out of their mouths.
I think I got photos, I'll see if I can find them.
Re-check the crops again in the morning.
Not all soil or rocks make suitable grit, but if they are picking up small stones, then I would assume they are finding what they need.

Crop issues are often a symptom of an underlying condition - impaction or blockage from eating too long of grass/lots of fibrous material, moldy feed, worms, Coccidia, infection, etc.

Is isolate the chicks/chickens with bloody poo, and also clean all the bedding, give some natural prevention to the unaffected chickens just to be safe, as well as not wasting your precious medication. I'm sorry you've had so many issues.

Stopped medication.
Meds did absolutely nothing, even when I orally dosed half a mil each/day in addition to the diluted meds in the water.

Still seeing blood.
All three chicks have it.
All three chicks are acting normal. Eating, drinking, active.

I wondered if it wasn't coccidia, but I don't know what else it could be.

They have been off meds for a good amount of days, and are still acting completely healthy.

And yet, the blood is all coming from them, so I don't know why they are.

My phone is a bit full up and won't let me post a photo, I'll try and sort that out.
Majority of the stools are solid, thankfully, but I'm still seeing red.
Since they aren't in my room anymore, I'm not able to keep so much of an eye on them.
They are super active. Out all day, dustbathing, preening, digging, eating. All the usual chicky stuff and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom