Here we go....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics

The Happster

Happs
Apr 5, 2020
Cloud Nine
Came into my room today to find this chick poop.
Perhaps looking at photos of chick poop is not how you imagined you'd spend your day.

I'd like reassurance this is shed lining and not coccidiosis or anything serious.
Thanks for any replies.

Attachments

• IMG_20200707_180827.jpg
    IMG_20200707_180827.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 106
ACV will not treat coccidiosis. I would get some Amprolium medication, there are many brands, Corid is common in the US, Amprol, Amprocox, and Coxoid are some UK brands. You may have to get them from a vet there. Toltrazuril and sulfa meds can also be used, probably vet only. Yes, wet bedding in a brooder can make an outbreak more likely, warm, wet conditions are a good environment for coccidia.

Thanks @Overo Mare

When I asked my mum not that long ago she said she won't take me to the pet store/vets.
She says she doesn't want to run around for the chicks when I don't have hard evidence they are ill. She does care about them, but she's really busy right now.
If the chick has persistent symptoms I will walk down to our local animal feed store and ask if they have anything to treat cocci or with Amprollium in.
Thanks again.
Show her this thread and all the replies.

Hi OHR's mum! Those babies need some amprollium. You have an awesome kid that loves their peepers. Let's get them all better!

There. Now show her.

Since your chicks are eating a lot of grass, make sure they have access to grit or you may end up with crop problems on top of whatever else is going on.
I would use what you were given, try to find the other suggested medications in the meantime.
Sulfa can be harder on the digestive tract than amprolium, but we are looking at risk vs reward, and if that is what is available, I would use it. I have used it on my birds for other infections and have not hurt one with it.
I don't really know what the chances are of recovery without treatment, every birds immune system is a bit different, different strains of coccidia have different levels of virulence. The one chick does sound like it may be deteriorating. Garlic can have some benefits, but it can also be toxic in large quantities and cause a specific type of anemia, so keep that in mind.
There have been some studies on herbal/natural remedies, some sound promising, but the ability of a back yard chicken keeper to get them in the correct form would be limited unless you planned well ahead. They are usually in tincture form, extracted with alchohol or propylene glycol. If you do a search on the internet you can find some studies (a challenge to read and understand) and some other articles. It's not going to be something easily purchased off the shelf somewhere. I have always used medication since it's available easily to me and I don't want to risk losing more than I have to with delayed or unsure treatment.

Your posts have not been harsh, not at all.
Thank you for even bothering to reply.
Sorry to hear about the rooster.

I actually bought some Nutri-Drops the other day -wonder if I could use those....
I'm typing this with one of them on my head. She decided to jump up.
I have been dipping her beak multiple times a day and she has definitely gotten more than she did before.
I would really hate to lose these chicks, they're such characters.
They will only be five weeks on Tuesday.
They haven't lived.
Thanks for your reply.
Nutri-Drops are for formulated dogs, probably not good for chickens.
If your youngster is strong enough to fly up on your head, there's hope! Do you have electrolytes for them? One of the sports drink supplements (I use Gatorade) works really well. You can also use a supplement designed for young children. If you don't have either, there are lots of easy DIY recipes here on BYC. They don't fight coccidiosis or infections,but they do support the bird while their body fights it off. Think of it as chicken soup for your chicks!
If you have trouble getting them to drink, try laying a drop or two alongside their beaks right along the upper/lower split. As soon as they feel it, they usually open their mouths and swallow. It's much easier than dipping, especially if the baby fights you.
And you're welcome! I love being able to pay things forward. I've lost count of how many times someone here on BYC has saved my neck and my chickens' - when I didn't know what to do. It doesn't matter what time of day or night, either. There's always someone here who can help ... one of the big benefits of being part of a community that encircles the globe!

I was just measuring it out when I got your message. I decided to go with my gut and just give it to them.
It took me half an hour to work out the maths 🤣 it was 28 mil for 4.5 litres.....I didn't want that much. I never did like maths.
I had to 'assist' the BO chick to drink. The other one had a nice time chucking the water out with his beak. He did drink a fair amount too.
I'm going to dip both their beaks every day anyway just to be sure they're getting enough.

I just didn't want to start them on a medicine that was vitamin absorbing until I was sure they'd be ok- didn't expect the meds to arrive so soon, thought they'd have enough time to recover from the first lot. And they should have, if I'd kept to the instructions on the first one.
7 days is quite a long time for them to be on medicine, and I didn't want to start, then realize they won't be able to finish it because they're too low on vit b? And then break the medicine cycle if you like, and have to start them again.
Anyway, they have it now.
I'll let you know how they do, and a huge thanks again to all for your help.

You are over thinking/over complicating this -
  • Get them drinking the Coxoid water and make sure that's the ONLY water they drink for the 7 days and see if they improve. Don't add anything else to the water but the Coxoid.
  • Provide them with fresh chick starter to eat daily.
  • If they are eating anything else besides chick starter make sure they have a source of grit (crushed granite) available free choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom