Here we go...........

ashyannehand

Songster
11 Years
Jun 25, 2008
Wade, Mississippi
I have been having a problem with at least one black snake getting some of my eggs, mostly the bantam eggs. I actually saw the snake about a week and a half ago but thought nothing of it. I am a country girl and am usually not alarmed by most critters. Anyway - two days later I noticed that I did not have any banty eggs. I thought maybe it was the heat. Our temps have jumped to above 100 heat index in the last three weeks. I am on day 8 with no banty eggs.
hit.gif

Last night I began reading this forum in an attempt to fix this problem. I had been told to use lyme around the outside fence of the pen, moth balls, etc......
ya.gif

I went with the moth balls and comet. I bought a couple of boxes of moth balls today and made scachets with very thing cloth and hung them in and around the coop and on the fence row were I actually saw the snake. I also put comet on the outside of the the fence where the chickens can not get to it. Now my chicken yard smells like comet and moth balls!
big_smile.png

So........ we will wait and see what happens tomorrow. I am crossing my fingers for banty eggs!
fl.gif

It is a new day and I am hoping my new barriers for the black snake will help. I forgot to mention my grandmaw who raised chickens all her life, had me do the pie plate thing, so there are six pie plates out there too naking all kinds of noise every time the wind blows. I will report back later!

Back
Top Bottom