Here's my build...so far. Any advice? I'm a chicken rookie!

AJBergman

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 15, 2014
My five chicks are about 7 weeks old now and I recently just built them a coop and run. I wanted to post pictures for any advice and to see if my nesting boxes were adequate. I still need to put in vents, paint and do some other work but this is what I've done so far.

The run is 4'x6'
Coop is 45"x45"x45"
Each nesting box is about 11"x11x11"
My feeder and waterer are now hung up in the run, under the coop. I'll be upgrading these soon.

Looking for advice and recommendations. Oh, and the roost is only temporary. I plan on using a 2x3 but wanted to give them something for now. Also, the window has a piece of acrylic glass in it.

I through in some other pictures, to show off my dogs too. We got our chicks at TSC, but have no idea what breed they are.

This was done on a $300 budget.

Last edited:
Looks very nice, like you said I would definitely cut alot of ventilation at the highest level, might want to upgrade the latch on the run door, post more pics when you get her painted, nice looking brit btw.

Thanks!
I've already done the latches, that was just a temporary deal while I worked on it that day. The temperatures here in NC haven't been bad, actually today is cold, but once this rain lets up I'm going to get some more work done. By "Brit" do you mean the bread? We've been trying to figure the breeds out, lol.

Where are you located? Your weather makes a big difference in what the coop should look like. It might get too hot in there during the summer but what are your winters like?

I'm in Jacksonville NC, winters are mild with it usually only dropping below freezing at night. Summers are hot by my standards, but I'm from northeast Ohio originally. I plan on having both sides and the front vented. I'll post pictures when I'm done. Would a small fan help during the summer? I have some foam board I could insulate with.

I was thinking about insulating the roof to reduce heat transfer, especially since it black shingle, and then venting the sides.

We suspect the others to be Delaware's. So do you think we have Delaware's and one Brittany?

Thank you this site has been great!!!

Last edited:
My five chicks are about 7 weeks old now and I recently just built them a coop and run. I wanted to post pictures for any advice and to see if my nesting boxes were adequate. I still need to put in vents, paint and do some other work but this is what I've done so far.

My feeder and waterer are now hung up in the run, under the coop. I'll be upgrading these soon.

Looking for advice and recommendations. Oh, and the roost is only temporary.
I think you did more things right than you did wrong first and foremost.
I really like the door to your coop that was well planed and well built. Makes clean up a snap.
I would keep my feeder inside.

Here are a couple of things I love about my small 4x8 coop you may find useful. They may or may not work for you in your set up.
Nest boxes
In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new.

POOP BOARDS are the "BEST" addition yet. Handles well over ½ of the poop in my set up keeps ammonia smell in check 3½" below roost excellent for catching eggs laid through the night (roost are in cups for easier removal and cleaning). I recently friction fit a piece of vinyl flooring over my poop board.it makes clean up even easier; Pop out; Scrap; Hose; Pop in.

Winter months even easier flex over compost bin DONE!

Easy peasy!.

Back
Top Bottom