Here's My Coop Plan but a Few Questions

I would post under this thread so we all can follow the progress as I am sure that a few of us have already subscribed to this thread.
pop.gif
Just my 2 Cents

Post the pics here, please! We're all already invested!
lol.png

PS: Don't hate me for saying this... but since you're in Washington state, and it's always raining... are there any sexy vampires running around?
gig.gif

If you have access to construction sites you can get a lot of "junk". I only had to buy seven sheets of plywood and a box of screws and drip edge. And a few hinges and chains for the door. Everything else came out of the burn/ garbage pile. I even got ahold of a huge skylight for my wall. Made the coop for around 150$.
[/IMG][/IMG]

Post the pics here, please! We're all already invested!
lol.png

PS: Don't hate me for saying this... but since you're in Washington state, and it's always raining... are there any sexy vampires running around?
gig.gif

Well the vampires here in WA are further West of me, in Forks, and it rains even more there than where I am! We also have a guy named Mick Dodge that apparently lives in, and runs around in the rain forest near Forks. He has a show on one the channels...I think Discovery. Maybe he has met some of the vamps!
lol.png

If you have access to construction sites you can get a lot of "junk". I only had to buy seven sheets of plywood and a box of screws and drip edge. And a few hinges and chains for the door. Everything else came out of the burn/ garbage pile. I even got ahold of a huge skylight for my wall. Made the coop for around 150$.
[/URL]
That looks great for using "junk"! I've been buying everything new and it adds up fast but, I specifically saved up to build this coop. I originally thought about buying one of those tough shed type buildings and then modifying it but they aren't cheap either. After much thought I decided to build since I could make it exactly how I want it. Certainly not the cheapest option the way I'm going at it but I know when it's done I will be very happy with it, as will the hens, and I'll sleep at night knowing it's as predator proof as I can make it.

So let the build begin! I have dubbed this project the Colony Mountain Hen Haven.

After changing my mind on the site location 3 times, we got started on the platform on March 26th. The last report I heard on the news is that this is now the wettest March in my area in the last 120 years so trying to get started and work between down pours has been, and is a challenge!

DH has been a gem with helping me and following my plan and ideas. I tell him what I want and we plan it out and he tells me what we need to do first and what materials to get. I couldn't do this without him so he gets a big shout out right from the start for being so helpful and supportive!

While I did purchase coop plans, I've already planned quite a few modifications to it in terms of doors, windows, vents, nest boxes, etc. For example, the original plan calls for building the nest boxes on the floor with outside access but I want them raised up with outside access. I'm using more windows and adding an extra entrance door from within the run.

Anyway, we got started on the platform. This turned out to be the flattest area of the 3 where I considered putting it. I settled on this one because it was the least wet/soggy, the flattest and you can't see it when you drive up to the front of the house. I was taking into consideration curb appeal and decided driving up and seeing a big coop and chicken run might not appeal to a lot of people if we sell at some point (which is not in the near future because I love it here!).

We placed it so we can still mow around it. DH wanted to use pier blocks so here are the first steps on initial layout and positioning of the structure. We didn't get far this first day due to having to work around down pours.

This is day 2 on March 27th. All the blocks, frame and stringers in place, screwed together and set to 8 x 12. Now I'm sure this is overkill but it was my decision to lay 1/2" hardware cloth before setting the flooring. I've had so many people warn me about rats and mice going to great effort to get into the coop. Sort of that "build it and they will come" thing. We do have mice and voles but I haven't yet seen rats around here but they obviously are around so I thought this would discourage them from trying to chew their way in from the bottom. I know a determined rat can chew through hardware cloth but I'm hoping this will influence them to find another way. I will most likely staple hardware cloth around the bottom of the whole thing as another deterrent.

And here is the finished platform late on the second day (just as it started to rain again! Geesh!). Floor is 3/4" marine grade plywood (or is it called OSB?) and countersunk with screws. Took a lot of time and effort getting 16 pier blocks and all the posts level and square!! A lot of time digging and moving blocks and boards around. I'm so glad this part is done! We both had backaches the next day.
lol.png

That's it for now. Weather has been terrible and DH had to go to work (he works 24 Hr. shifts) so no progress on starting the framing yet. I also need the flooring to dry out because I'm putting vinyl on top before walls start going up. We're planning to start framing in a couple days. We figure if it's raining, we have a large covered patio that we can work under.

That looks great for using "junk"!  I've been buying everything new and it adds up fast but, I specifically saved up to build this coop.  I originally thought about buying one of those tough shed type buildings and then modifying it but they aren't cheap either.  After much thought I decided to build since I could make it exactly how I want it.  Certainly not the cheapest option the way I'm going at it but I know when it's done I will be very happy with it, as will the hens, and I'll sleep at night knowing it's as predator proof as I can make it.  
thanks. I don't think I would of been able to afford to build anything like this if I had to buy material. It's also nice knowing 95% of this coop would be burned or in the landfill by now if I didn't take the time to ask.

thanks. I don't think I would of been able to afford to build anything like this if I had to buy material. It's also nice knowing 95% of this coop would be burned or in the landfill by now if I didn't take the time to ask.

I think re-purposing materials is an excellent idea! In my case, it would take a while for me to find what I need and the chicks just keep on getting bigger so I'm feeling the urgency to get this coop built but if any opportunity for used materials comes my way, I'm in!

Concrete can be expensive. Why not haul dirt rock or sand and elevate the run then cover it. Water travels to low parts so a run that 6-8-12" taller and covered would not get soggy.

I'd start with coarse rock to give drainage at soil height lay landscaping weed barrier and 10+" of soil or sand.

The only reason I say that is our chickens free range and we have a pad by the 2nd barn. Rock drive and grassy areas. I never see them on the concrete. Chicken like to peck at bugs and worms and dig in dirt. I just can imagine happy chicken on concrete.

Now I wouldn't be against a coop on a slab. But run???????

Scott

Concrete can be expensive. Why not haul dirt rock or sand and elevate the run then cover it. Water travels to low parts so a run that 6-8-12" taller and covered would not get soggy.

I'd start with coarse rock to give drainage at soil height lay landscaping weed barrier and 10+" of soil or sand.

The only reason I say that is our chickens free range and we have a pad by the 2nd barn. Rock drive and grassy areas. I never see them on the concrete. Chicken like to peck at bugs and worms and dig in dirt. I just can imagine happy chicken on concrete.

Now I wouldn't be against a coop on a slab. But run???????

Scott

I have been doing a lot of research on this subject of a concrete run. I've come to the conclusion that the ones that have concrete in their run love it, others wish they had it and then there are the "never" concrete folks.

I have found posts on this site and other forums from people that live in my area. Some have concrete runs and some of them said they wish they had concrete runs. Everyone's issue in my area is the amount of rain and how muddy the run get. If I lived in a drier climate, I wouldn't be considering this. We have to wear boots just to work on the coop because even with grass still around it it's super mushy ground. I think building up the run with gravel, dirt, sand, shavings would help but would require constantly having to keep it built up as everything keeps sinking which would mean having to wheel barrow materials in once or twice a year or possibly more often depending how rainy the fall/winter is.

I agree that if my chickens were never allowed to free range, concrete would again, not be an option, but that is not the case. I can't wait to let them free range the yard! We have lots of grass and woods for them to explore and forage in. I'm also planning to put out tubs full of sprouted veggies that I can grow under lights for them to eat during the winter should they not want to go out on cold rainy/snowy days.

Back
Top Bottom