Heres my design for a self filling and cleaning duck pond/water source that is freeze resistant

chickensahoy96

Chirping
11 Years
Aug 26, 2012
My idea to have a water source for my ducks to clean and drink out of is to have fresh water below the surface of a near by pond pumped in 24/7 into a kiddie pond with a drain (that could be blocked if needed), so that water is constantly circulating between these two reservoirs. I want all my poultry to live in the same coop and run, securely, which means do not have access to the water in the pond directly. This solution could solve the problem of small duck ponds being disgusting and needing cleaned constantly, and also the problem with giving them access to water, even in the winter.

In the winter water temperatures, depending on the depth, could be as high as 50 degrees F in a large pond. In theory, water could be pumped using underground pipes that could be insulated and also wrapped with heat tape which could be configured to run on a temperature controlled switch. The water would rain into either a pipe or a drainage channel under the surface back into the pond. As long as the pump works, and both the water intake and extake pathways are open, there is no other ways this system could fail.

I was also thinking of moving the pump outside the pond in the middle of the intake pipe, which means it would suck and push the water at the same time. Not sure if this is possible but this would be ideal in case the unit fails in the middle of winter so I don't have to go diving in the artic temperatures to replace it 😧

Attachments

• duck pond.png
    duck pond.png
    482.8 KB · Views: 309
Re your external pump question. I'm using an above ground pool pump which works great and is cheaper than a submergeded pond pump and unlike a sump are meant to run continuously. Bonus is you can use a pool filter to polish the water. Downside is they are designed to be below water level with water pressure helping the pump.

The top of my pump is about at water level, and the pool intakes are at max 1ft below the surface. Might work in your design.

I just found out that a heated garden hose is a thing. In theory, you should be able to bury that sucker under the ground and put some pipe insulation on it and it should be good. Do you remember the specs to your pump? my pond is about 50 ft away and about 10ft lower than the duck house, so maybe 1/2 HP should do the job? If the water inlet pipes are heated, then this thing should only need to run on a float switch. So I think I figured this all out to have a hassle free duck water source without free ranging them.

Back
Top Bottom