Heritage Bantam Thread

Pics
I like this thread because it's all about the utility of bantams, which I think they are better at than most people give them credit for. I am interested in peoples experiences with banties as layers specifically. I started a thread about that, so if you have experience with different breeds check it out. I think it would be a helpful reference. I am especially interested in RIR, EE, rock, brahma and orpington bantams laying ability.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/825914/what-bantam-breeds-lay-the-best-experiences#post_12042167

My bantam rocks are great layers actually and go easily broody ....

When you try to improve a breed you got to figure a long range goal of at least ten years. Most people give up in three years on projects heck they give up with just a normal breed. If you go to a poultry show and visit with people and ask them how is the rocks or reds or orps doing they will say O we got ride of them after two or three years. Just don't have the patients or passion in the first place. They never make it as a breeder and this is normal in poultry anyway.

In the Delaware project the lady who is doing this is got passion and has a plan. The problem with this plan is will the customers who get her birds follow her plan or move in or out or worse cross their Delaware's on her project. These birds never breed true anyway and that is why they lost popularity years ago. In regards to egg production in bantams most bantams do not lay many eggs some rleeds do. My Rhode Island Reds have large fowl blood in them so they lay better than regular old fashion red bantams. If you see today many of the red bantams have backs on them that look like a Plymouth rock. These birds are moving more towards the cochin blood and that means even less eggs per year.

The make up of a red bantam in the 1930s wa crossing a cochin and old English game on to large fowl . So this is a battle we have had with red bantams over the years is to fight the Cochin gene which seems to come to the surface in red bantams over the old English. Many like a nice wide feather and this is how the cochin gene comes up and why the breed is in a tail spin right now around the country.

There are secrets of getting bantams to lay more and that is fast feathering and early development as the chicks grow up takes about five years of selection of young chicks and breeding from these type of birds. Most bantam breeders select for looks and shape and color and forget about egg laying traits. Hope this helps.

Christmas came early at our flock today when Don Gibson brought me the remaining Delaware Bantams in his flock. In his early 70s Don is scaling back on the number of breeds he has but will continue on the board for the Shawnee Oklahoma Show in December and a few of his select breeds. He and his sons have purchased new property and are clearing land for building their homes.

Don had already gifted me with a quad that I have already posted earlier on this thread. Here are the new Delaware Bantams...a handsome cockerel and 5 lovely hens...two of which are laying. They are from this year's hatch. He said the sire of these birds placed Best of Breeds at a Bantam show last year and this was the hardest of his breeds to give up. I have promised to maintain the vigor and appearance of this breed he is trusting me to preserve. Since Don has had birds since he was six years old...I bet he will be back in the Spring to renew this breed to his flock.

And a few more views of some of them...I think they are just stunning!

Lucky you
smile.png

thumbsup.gif

Jeff

Of course not... so, um, what show did you photograph them at? And is there a good breeder or two you'd recommend to someone to start off with good stock? And, under all that fluff, what on earth is a good 'type' for a silkie?

This thread *will* be edumacational, yeah? :)

If I wanted Silkies, which I don't, I'd go to Hat Trick Silkies. Theirs are the best I've seen.

If I wanted Silkies, which I don't, I'd go to Hat Trick Silkies. Theirs are the best I've seen.
Source, Check! But, if you DID, how do you pick yourself good ones (once you start breeding)? When you handle a 'good' silkie, how do they feel? 'cause the fluff gets in the way. Did discover a reason to raise them, if you want to cater to Asian restaurants... something about the black skin, meat, and insides. And, erm, male bits. Particular delicacy, apparently. So they are supposed to be a meat bird... been trying to wrap my brain around that.

Christmas came early at our flock today when Don Gibson brought me the remaining Delaware Bantams in his flock. In his early 70s Don is scaling back on the number of breeds he has but will continue on the board for the Shawnee Oklahoma Show in December and a few of his select breeds. He and his sons have purchased new property and are clearing land for building their homes.

Don had already gifted me with a quad that I have already posted earlier on this thread. Here are the new Delaware Bantams...a handsome cockerel and 5 lovely hens...two of which are laying. They are from this year's hatch. He said the sire of these birds placed Best of Breeds at a Bantam show last year and this was the hardest of his breeds to give up. I have promised to maintain the vigor and appearance of this breed he is trusting me to preserve. Since Don has had birds since he was six years old...I bet he will be back in the Spring to renew this breed to his flock.

And a few more views of some of them...I think they are just stunning!

Yes they are stunning looking Dels- I have a question ; How small do they have to be to be a Bantam . I am talking Dels as some of the Kathyinmo line I have are smaller than the rest - Maybe I should split the group and run two lines Bantam and Large fowl - There we go out of the box again LOL

Back
Top Bottom