Heritage Bantam Thread

Pics
Love being a thread killer!!!

Wanted to ask about how to tell whether my Bantam Cochin is laying.
I've been told that with LF, you can check their pelvis: 2 finger widths = not laying; 4 finger widths = laying.
My Bantam's pelvis (if I measured right and in the right place, the width between the protruding bones on either side of her vent) is 2 finger widths.

Last edited:
Love being a thread killer!!!

Wanted to ask about how to tell whether my Bantam Cochin is laying.
I've been told that with LF, you can check their pelvis: 2 finger widths = not laying; 4 finger widths = laying.
My Bantam's pelvis (if I measured right and in the right place, the width between the protruding bones on either side of her vent) is 2 finger widths.

The measurements and capacity you're referring to are good indicators of future production. But won't really be the most accurate as far as currently laying. A bird that is currently in lay will have a moist pliable vent. A bird that isn't won't.

The measurements and capacity you're referring to are good indicators of future production. But won't really be the most accurate as far as currently laying. A bird that is currently in lay will have a moist pliable vent. A bird that isn't won't.

Thanks for the info. I'll check her vent. =)

I checked. I guess it's dry. I couldn't describe it as wet particularly. I'll have to try to catch one of my other hens tonight and compare.

If you look at a male vent and then a female that is laying, you will see what moist is in this case. Moist and pliable is really the correct way to say it. Once you see/feel it, you will know the difference.

Walt
Okay.
I wasn't able to check anyone except my Bantam Cochin yesterday; it was raining when I put them to bed.
I should be able to check tonight; I'll just go out late and then I can check a hen and my roo.
Thank you for your help.

I was able to catch one of my hens, that I know is laying. I understand the difference between a laying vent and a non-laying vent.
Thank you for your help!!!

Back
Top Bottom