Heritage Bantam Thread

Pics
Does anyone know of a breeder (preferably West Coast) of bantam rose-comb brown leghorns? I'd be happy with either lights or darks, but have been really taken by the pictures of some nice darks I've seen lately.

Kathleen

Does anyone know of a breeder (preferably West Coast) of bantam rose-comb brown leghorns?  I'd be happy with either lights or darks, but have been really taken by the pictures of some nice darks I've seen lately.

Kathleen

Bob Anderson in Oregon has some very nice RC Light Brown Leghorns. You can look him up on Facebook under Blue Hour Poultry. I think Mark Dooms has RC Dark Browns but not entirely sure

Dose anyone here have Pyncheons? I am trying to find the balance between breeds that need saving, breeds that create profit, and breeds with utility. Some have a combination of two of these features. I figure that I can devote time to a breed that is riding high on popularity (like Cream Legbars for example) and make enough to support a rare breed that isn't peaking in the fads at the moment. I am planning to get some James Marie quail in 2014 and would like some broody banties that can hatch and take care of them. I have been considering Nankings but also heard about the Pyncheons who even have lower numbers as well as a historic significance in U.S. history (Thomas Jefferson raised them).
I managed to hatch 1 Pyncheon pullet from 12 eggs I purchased on Ebay. I think I paid close to $100 for the eggs and shipping. She seems to be decent quality so I was tempted to order again but the sellers feedback is so bad I decided against it. Apparently, low fertility is often a problem with this seller. Who knows, I may end up taking my chances and ordering more. I really like this hen. She is super friendly and lets the kids carry her around.

Privette has Pyncheons, but from what I understand the quality is typicaly hatchery quality and the birds have the wrong leg color.

Last edited:
I have mostly bantams and enjoy them very much. I got into bantams for several reasons. I'm an older woman and don't want to wrestle with a bigger bird. I also live alone and like to cook a bird that fits in my crockpot, and appreciate a bird that lays a large egg for its size. Bantams are practical, if you pay attention to what you're doing. For instance, don't have high ultility expectations for a modern game. Heritage bantams certainly have their place and more people should recognize what a great package they present. Maybe I should say could present. I have been surprised how few take bantams seriously for meat and eggs. If they are to be replicas of the LF SOP birds, why shouldn't they be utility birds in smaller packages?
I just wanted to reiterate this! These are my reasons for choosing bantams as well, it's been a long time coming after a few heartbreaking failures at the LF heritage breeds. (Just not enough space!)

I get the impression it is much easier to make serious headway with bantams than with LF...plus there is some truly spectacular material to work with in so many of the bantam breeds. Basically you just have to maintain the bloodlines!

There's so much talk on the LF Heritage threads about where to find good stock, and what makes the birds "heritage" in the first place. How about over here in banty land? Which are the oldest bantams? Are there banties that you think are decidedly NOT "heritage"? So much of the definition of heritage in the LF seems wrapped up in utility. What does it mean for the bantams, when so many were bred down strictly for fancy?

Who are the good lines in Rocks, Orps, Wyandottes, RIR, etc? What about New Hampshire bantams? I never hear anything about those.

Does Urch have pretty good bantams? I'm not able to attend shows and do any face-to-face shopping—getting birds is always a problem, so it is appealing to talk to folks who sell chicks and eggs.

I just wanted to reiterate this! These are my reasons for choosing bantams as well, it's been a long time coming after a few heartbreaking failures at the LF heritage breeds. (Just not enough space!)

I get the impression it is much easier to make serious headway with bantams than with LF...plus there is some truly spectacular material to work with in so many of the bantam breeds. Basically you just have to maintain the bloodlines!
I am in total agreement with you. I find that for eye appeal I like the bantam Wyandotts who look like they would have a plump breast. Anyone know how they dress out? Most lines I understand could improve their egg laying because it has not been emphasized since many are show birds. I like the Bantam Barred Rocks. They look like the LF just shorter. I have considered getting some of them and getting some Bantam Ameraucanas and crossing them for Sex Link Bantam EEs. The BAm lays a sizeable egg for a bantam and the BR bantam looks like it would dress out well. I also like the Cornish Hen bantams with their short faces and chestiness.

I have some Bantam Welsummer eggs that are coming later this spring. I am hoping to hatch enough to find out if they lay as well as their LF counterparts.

If as many are saying that we are headed for a new great depression in two years, I think bantams of high production capacity will be in high demand because they convert more feed into food by weight than their larger counterparts. Urban areas could be well served by utility geared bantams.

Oh, I think banties have some amazing utility properties. Especially for a small family or a single woman like myself, it is so easy to be overwhelmed by eggs! Three little banty EE's kept me in eggs, and then some, while eating nothing more than my kitchen scraps and leftovers throughout the year. Amazing little birds!

Oh, I think banties have some amazing utility properties. Especially for a small family or a single woman like myself, it is so easy to be overwhelmed by eggs! Three little banty EE's kept me in eggs, and then some, while eating nothing more than my kitchen scraps and leftovers throughout the year. Amazing little birds!

I understand the Olansk Dwarf are great egg layers. They are old enough to be heritage if you include those old European origin.

Back
Top Bottom