Heritage Bantam Thread

Pics
I have been trying out a few breeds of bantams that appeal to me. While I'd like to have something presentable for resale of hatching eggs and possible breeding stock to help someone else along the way, utility and temperament are number one for me. Bantam breeds I truly thought would be great utility birds have turned out to be very disappointing. Cornish bantams are great little birds but I don't think they would appreciate extremely cold, northern areas. They have a very tight feather and no fluff to keep them warm. Having said that, they have managed this winter thus far on a brooder bulb hanging from the ceiling of my coop. It doesn't keep the water pan from freezing (even with a 25W bulb under them), so it isn't doing much of a job. Cornish bantams don't tend to lay in cold temps either. But boy, do they have breast meat. I also have a few juvenile Wyandotte bantams and they tend to be nice dual purpose bantams. The pullets tend to go broody a lot too but so far, break up easily. And for cold climates, you can't beat the rose or pea comb over a single. I have one pair of chocolate Dotte babies and they have a lot of heft to them when I lift them. They also will be larger than SOP standard. A breed I think warrants a closer look are Silkies, if you don't mind the dark skin and a persistent brooder. Read the SOP for a Silkie sometime. It's too bad no one takes them seriously for utility. The Orientials do. They need work but I find them quite agreeable. I also have heard Ameraucana bantams have a nice sized egg, especially compared to the LF, for its size. As to a meat bird, they should be excellent if bred to the standard. But since I don't have any...yet...I can't comment. In my opinion, bantams offer a great deal if one only opens their mind to the possibilities, that is, if you don't need a whopper for the dinner table.

Last edited:
I have Old English Game Bantam, Belgium d'Anver. Harvesting the breast and thighs for roasting, frying or grilling, I use the backs, wings and legs for stewing. Eggs are not available year round so if you want numbers for meat, you would want to hatch in the spring before collecting eggs for the table. Two to three eggs equal a medium to large standard egg.
My Delaware are more hefty, but since I'm trying to increase their numbers, I have not harvested any. They would provide a nice sized meal for two. Eggs are nice sized ... Two equal a medium to large standard.

I've been pretty fixated on Dominique bantams but will probably also try some Ameraucana bantams because of my positive experiences so far. There are a lot of great bantam breeds that are tempting, though! Including those Delaware bantams, Houdan bantams, RIR and Rock and Orps. Geez. The list goes on.

And I agree about Silkies, they aren't to be entirely discounted for utility by any stretch of the imagination.

Bantams are classified according to their appearance. The six classes are as follows: Modern Game; Game; Single Comb, Clean Legged; Rose Comb, Clean Legged; Feather Legged; and All Other Comb, Clean Legged. The American Bantam Association's (ABA) classifications occasionally differ from the American Poultry Association's. Some breeds are in multiple classes.
Modern Game

A Modern Game cock and hen; the cock's comb and wattles are normally dubbed for show.​
This class consists solely of the Modern Game.
List of Breeds

Game

A pair of Old English Games​
The Game class includes the remaining game bantams.
List of Breeds

Single Comb, Clean Legged

A Red Pyle Dutch cock​
This class contains all the bantam breeds possessing a Single Comb, excluding the game bantams. The Catalana, Holland, Java, Jersey Giant, and Lamona are not recognized by the American Bantam Association, and the Junglefowl, Nankin, Pyncheon, and Vorwerk, while recognized by the former, are not recognized by the American Poultry Association.[17]
List of Breeds

Rose Comb, Clean Legged

A Golden Sebright hen​
This class is made up of, as its name states, breeds that possess both a Rose Comb, and featherless legs. The ABA does not recognize the Redcap, and the APA does not recognize the Nankin.
List of Breeds

Feather Legged

A group of Mille Fleur Belgian Bearded d'Uccle pullets and cockerels​
The breeds of this class have feathering on their legs and feet.

All Other Comb, Clean Legged

An Ameraucana cock​
This class includes all of the breeds that do not meet the qualifications of any of the other classes. The ABA does not recognize the Crevecoeur, and the APA does not recognize the Orloff.
List of Breeds

***from Wikipedia for reference purposes in this thread.

Hopefully it will pick back up soon. Anybody going to an spring shows that are coming up?

I have to miss the first one up here in March, but the April Pacific Northwest Poultry Association double show is just around the corner, will be showing some "Heritage" standard bred bantams. Langshan bantams and Old English Game Bantams. Likely a large fowl or two as well.

Back
Top Bottom