Heritage breeds/breeding

JacinLarkwell

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
3 questions here:

1) Are turkeys best in pairs or does one male need more than one hen?

2) Are there any notable heritage breeds that are more likely to go broody and are good mothers (I know it's more an individual than breed thing)? I've had royal palms before and they went broody and hatched once but were not good moms at all.

3) Are midget whites meat birds or are they like heritage breeds and cam breed naturally

Yes i know its technivally varieties, but I call them breeds as does everyone in my community

1) Are turkeys best in pairs or does one male need more than one hen?
I try to keep at least 4 to 5 hens for one tom. Keeping them in pairs is not good for the health of the hen.
2) Are there any notable heritage breeds that are more likely to go broody and are good mothers (I know it's more an individual than breed thing)? I've had royal palms before and they went broody and hatched once but were not good moms at all.
Turkeys are individuals. I have had Royal Palms that were good mothers and one that wasn't. All turkeys will go broody including the broad breasted varieties. The broad breasted varieties are not good mother. It is not for lack of trying. They just can't move their feet in the delicate ways heritage varieties can.
3) Are midget whites meat birds or are they like heritage breeds and cam breed naturally
Midget Whites were developed to be a smaller meat turkey. They can breed naturally. Like all turkeys the younger ones are more successful breeders.
Yes i know its technically varieties, but I call them breeds as does everyone in my community
If you know the proper terms, use the proper terms. Just because others misuse the terms as they relate to turkeys, does not make it okay.

Back
Top Bottom