Heritage Breeds for Pets

Is the lifespan of a bantam similar to a standard?
Yes, although some ornamental bantam breeds, such as Modern Game bantams, don't tend to live as long (but they aren't great producers of eggs either).

I have to say my bantams lay much better than my larger breeds as they get older. My Araucanas stopped laying well after 2 years and stopped altogether when they were 5. My Houdans laid ok for 2 years, but after that they've only given me the very odd egg. My Orpingtons were never fantastic layers and still give the odd egg at 5 years old. But my OEGBs, Cochin bantams, Booted bantams and Wyandotte bantams all still lay most days during spring and summer and they are all 5-7 years old. The bigger breeds are mostly just free loaders now who eat a lot.

I did lose 2 OEGB when they were quite young (my favourites, of course) but the other 2 we'd bought at the same time are still alive and still laying and going broody, so genetics will play a part. One got to raise some babies for me not so long ago. She's such a good mother and has even raised a duckling for me.

That's something I really love about the OEGB - they are very successful mothers. We have an OEGB pullet who stashed her eggs away in autumn and proceeded to sit. I left her with 10 eggs thinking she'd be lucky to hatch 5 at that time of year. Every single egg she sat on hatched!

Back
Top Bottom