Heritage & Exhibition Turkey Thread

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by HallFamilyFarm, Dec 15, 2010.

1. java girl 2

java girl 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    NY
    Quote:We would be happy to take the trouble maker off your hands.

HOW ???!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm APA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Monticello, Arkansas
    We have a lone Narragansett young tom that is looking for a girl friend. Even if she is a trouble maker.

3. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Quote:See if anyone is coming from Georgia to show at Shawnee, Ok. Maybe they would offer transport at a small fee. You could contact Danny & Norma Padgett and see if anyone is exhibiting from Georgia.

Thanks, I will try that approach!!

4. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Quote:This is what we do on our place too, especially with the geese. We have one female that thinks she owns us and the male sometimes tries something so we just got in the habit of giving hugs every time they start to hiss or come at us. It's actually what the dominant bird will do to the others, hold them down, so it's worked well for us. Our turkey isn't a problem though. Our son will go out and ask "does someone need a hug today?" in a friendly voice and walk towards them with his arms out. They usually honk and back off pretty fast. [​IMG]

5. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:This is what we do on our place too, especially with the geese. We have one female that thinks she owns us and the male sometimes tries something so we just got in the habit of giving hugs every time they start to hiss or come at us. It's actually what the dominant bird will do to the others, hold them down, so it's worked well for us. Our turkey isn't a problem though. Our son will go out and ask "does someone need a hug today?" in a friendly voice and walk towards them with his arms out. They usually honk and back off pretty fast. [​IMG]

The dominant bird eventually holds them down, but you've skipped a whole lot of steps in getting there and are no longer speaking the bird's language. The reason they back off from your son when he approaches with arms spread isn't because they know what a "hug" is, but because he's speaking their language -- advancing with the intent to make physical contact with his posture tall and his wings spread.

99.9% of human-animal relationship issues could be avoided if humans would not insist on interacting with animals in ways that only serve the human. Speak their language, not yours.

6. twopeas

twopeas Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2011
    Virginia
    Just found this thread and love it!
    This is Frank our Royal Palm. We plan to have lots of babies in the spring :)

[​IMG]

7. java girl 2

java girl 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    NY
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] what are they like?

8. twopeas

twopeas Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2011
    Virginia
    They are gentle non aggresive birds that are very vocal, and Frank struts all day everyday for Eleanor (although she completely ignores him!) Eleanor is a bit bossy over the White Leghorn hens, hopefully we will have baby turkeys in the spring!

9. Chickielady

Chickielady Spiritwood Farms Premium Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    Quote:mac some?????????
    As in max the size of something?[​IMG]

The only "mac" I know is macaroni!!!! [​IMG]

mac " make some" tttoooo tired to think of the word at the time [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh, I get it..lol

10. Chickielady

Chickielady Spiritwood Farms Premium Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    Quote:We would be happy to take the trouble maker off your hands.

HOW ???!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Or me!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by