Heritage & Exhibition Turkey Thread

I have a question for you experienced turkey raisers!! I got a turkey from a rural king black Spanish because the turkey was bobbing his head funny so I said fine I will take it and see if I can care for it. It's in with the baby chicks. He seems normal except the head bobbing. It looks like he will spinning circles every now and again. He is eating and drinkin and seems interested in shiny things to peck. So anyone know what could be wrong with this lil turkey? Probably only a few. Days old now.

I have enjoyed the few BOurbon Red turkeys that I have raised from the original pair I bought June 2011; and this year finally decided to add a few others to try. My main concern/interest is a bird I can trust around my kids and visitors. I bought a few varieties from Porters and managed to get 3 narrigansetts which were already sold out by the time I could decide.

Wondered if I could entice people to post pictures of their birds.

Last edited:
I wondered if I could ask about turkeys.

I have about 30 poults right now 1-2 weeks old. Some look normal in the wings, others look like how I imagine split wing. to look. Now, I have never seen split wing, but I remember someone , I think Snowbird, saying to look at the feathering, open the wing and count to see if a feather was truly missing.

SOme poults look like they are sticking their primaries outward, not neatly up against their sides When I open the wing, there is a tiny feather smaller than others.

Is this ok? Seems to be among all the Auburn, and not on my bourbon reds. And not the Narrigansetts.

can you get a pic for us to look at???

I have about 30 poults right now 1-2 weeks old. Some look normal in the wings, others look like how I imagine split wing. to look. Now, I have never seen split wing, but I remember someone , I think Snowbird, saying to look at the feathering, open the wing and count to see if a feather was truly missing.

SOme poults look like they are sticking their primaries outward, not neatly up against their sides When I open the wing, there is a tiny feather smaller than others.

Is this ok? Seems to be among all the Auburn, and not on my bourbon reds. And not the Narrigansetts.

I have a question.
I have 5 Slate/Palm turkeys that hatched out in April. I'm free feeding turkey grower and giving the flock 2 cups of scratch about 3 times a week as a treat.
BUT they are still really thin when I pick them up I can feel their breast bone.
I'm sure the extreme heat had alot to do with it as the only birds that aren't skinny are my waterfowl.
Now that the heat of this summer has passed. Can I do anything to get them ready for winter? If it helps I'm in NW Missouri.

I think they're too young to tell about split wing, it sounds like you're talking about angel wing.

Back
Top Bottom