Cornish Rock Cross vs. Heritage

ChickenCanoe

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Nov 23, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I've known this information most of my life but I just got an email from 'Cooks Venture'. I just wanted to share it with the community.
A few years ago, I presented a seminar at the first Midwest Poultry Conference titled 'Starting Right in Heritage Poultry', delivered to Midwest poultry farmers.

Apparently Cooks Venture raise and sell a bird more along the lines of some heritage birds.
IMO, a great alternative is the Freedom Ranger which is based on the Label Rouge system developed in France a couple decades ago.

In the 1950s, the poultry industry genetically selected broiler chickens to grow bigger and faster. This rapid growth comes with a cost; industrial chickens grow so fast that their bones, heart, and lungs often can’t keep up.

According to research from the RSPCA, fast-growing breeds are:

• Up to twice as likely to die due to ill health
  • Up to four times more likely to suffer from sores to their legs from resting on the ground for too long due to inactivity
  • Up to 3.5 times more likely to suffer from moderate to severe lameness
The RSPCA concludes, “Slower growing birds are a better choice—better for the chicken and better for consumers.”

A comprehensive, two-year study conducted by the University of Guelph in partnership with Global Animal Partnership (GAP) confirms the RSPCA’s conclusion on breed; this study details how the breed of chicken is the most critical component for animal welfare.

OUR SPECIAL BIRDS

Cooks Venture’s breed, the Pioneer, scored high for animal welfare, high activity, high bone density, excellent mobility, low to no rates of muscle myopathies (e.g. woody breast syndrome, white striping disease), and strong immune development in the University of Guelph study. Our breed is included on the short list of breeds that meet GAP’s new standards for animal welfare.

"Our breed, the Pioneer, is selectively bred from heritage line chickens, growing slower than conventional birds, resulting in a robust chicken with better gut health,” states Matthew Wadiak, Cooks Venture CEO and founder. “This is the culmination of over 12 years of research with heritage lines, to breed a better chicken without the disorders associated with 90% of chicken in America while prioritizing health and flavor...”

Better for the animals. Better for the planet. Better for you.

Pictures? Datasheet?

I'd be interested in actual statistics - feed conversion, days to butcher, weight at butcher, temperament (ease of management), M vs F weights. If I'm going to grow anything besides CX, there's going to be a cost increase per pound of meat - I'm interested in how much more expensive these would be. If it's only a little more expensive, might be worth my time to try them out.

I really don't have any other information. They just sent me this email this morning.
You can do more research on your own. Especially look into the Lable Rouge program.

Looks like a NN
https://cooksventure.com/pages/our-farms
Screenshot_20230626-172832.png

I’ve found that most of the issues with CX are solved by the COBB 500 line combined with using radiant heat instead of heat lamp. By not having a light on at night they take on a normal circadian rhythm, sleeping through the night instead of Gorging themselves. This allows a more balanced muscle vs skeletal developmental balance. They stay relatively active up to the last week and a half or so.

I think your second point is the key.
We should avoid heat lamps for all birds.
The difference is kind of mind boggling! The idea that the traditional red reptile lamps emit rays that don’t disturb sleep seems to be completely bogus… any time I’ve had chicks indoors, they sleep the night through with radiant heat emitter vs cat napping and waking at random intervals 24/7 with a regular heat lamp. Add to that that the traditional heat lamp greatly increases risk of fire and frankly, there’s an argument for campaigning against them all together. Many a Chickens coops and even some homes have burnt down due to them.

Back
Top Bottom