Heritage & Exhibition Turkey Thread

I ordered from Porter's too. THe auburns are rather pretty, though not APA. ANd the others added in make an interesting mob: sweetgrass, narrigansetts and bourbon reds.

At this point I am struggling with a few issues. Primarily, feed efficiency. Milled feed is at an all time high, and feeding a slow growing bird is becoming. .. . . . financially stressful. I'm caught between finances and the need to help preserve the old breeds. ANd putting decent food on the table-- looking for some chicken yesterday at the grocery left me sickened-- I could find only one package with out added broth. WTH?

I know in my mind they eat more over the long run, but I would rather raise heritage than broad breasteds any day. Just as a comparison, this year my eleven 8 month old heritage sweetgrass turkeys are eating less per day than my four 8 month old broad breasteds did last year!!!
ep.gif

The 4 broad breasteds were eating a 50# bag every 3-4 days.

This year my 11 heritages are only eating about a 50# bag a week.

Last edited:
I haven't seen this thread before :D

I have a royal palm pair and two Eastern Wild turkeys. Love all four of them. Can't wait to let them hatch out some of their own polts. They were raised by a broody turkey this spring.

Quote: If the birds are only eating commercial pellets, have you figured out how many pounds of grain required for ever pound of gain?? THe commercial birds are much more effecient. But when the commercial birds start to get really big they cannot forage which the heritage birds can still do. I have thinking of crossing the birds. I have seen my cross bred chickens outgrow both mother and father. Makes me keep thinking how to improve the feed effeciency and growth rate. ANyone else thinking this way?

I haven't seen this thread before :D

I have a royal palm pair and two Eastern Wild turkeys. Love all four of them. Can't wait to let them hatch out some of their own polts. They were raised by a broody turkey this spring.

Aoxa! Hey welcome to the quietest thread I am in lol What lovely pictures. That one of the bird in the frozen pool is funny. I know someone else here with Palms. Do you show yours?
If the birds are only eating commercial pellets, have you figured out how many pounds of grain required for ever pound of gain?? THe commercial birds are much more effecient. But when the commercial birds start to get really big they cannot forage which the heritage birds can still do. I have thinking of crossing the birds. I have seen my cross bred chickens outgrow both mother and father. Makes me keep thinking how to improve the feed effeciency and growth rate. ANyone else thinking this way?
Yes Arielle. I have to get over the maintenance of sop and breed preservation ethics I have first. Dependance on grain and big grain growers is an issue for me keeping any animal. I have a lot of land here but unlike Heritagehabitatfarms above... no tractor and no other beasts to help with work otherwise either. I would like to learn more about how people kept birds in the past. I think keeping fewer birds is essential. I need to pare down myself but that isn't the going to free me from commercial grain/feeds.

Aoxa! Hey welcome to the quietest thread I am in lol What lovely pictures. That one of the bird in the frozen pool is funny. I know someone else here with Palms. Do you show yours?
Yes Arielle. I have to get over the maintenance of sop and breed preservation ethics I have first. Dependance on grain and big grain growers is an issue for me keeping any animal. I have a lot of land here but unlike Heritagehabitatfarms above... no tractor and no other beasts to help with work otherwise either. I would like to learn more about how people kept birds in the past. I think keeping fewer birds is essential. I need to pare down myself but that isn't the going to free me from commercial grain/feeds.
I was thinking about it, not sure yet. I had to clip all my hens' wings as they were flying on top of cars and scratching them (my neighbour's!) But I left Tom be. He is not the instigator. I think I'd cry if he strutted around with clipped wings lol.

I free range my turkeys. Tom sleeps in a tree. The girls sleep in the barn.

They have such personality. Love them!

I'm trying to figure out how to have my cake and eat it too.

A basic breeding method is based on purebred gene sources crossed with each other to have a faster growing bird for market. One cannot exist without the other. THe greatest heterosis is in the first cross.

I also do not have a tractor or beast of burden. ANd my land is slowly being reclaimed. IT looks like it was once grazed based on the young trees with rock walls along the property line but not tilled based on all the ROCKS. First phase is cut doen most of the trees , leaving some for shade; second phase is running a flock of sheep to eat down the regrowth and add grass seed via the hay we feed them.

A long process.

I would like to know what shrubery to plant and promote to feed turkeys and provide shelter from arial hawks and coyote.

Back
Top Bottom