Heritage & Exhibition Turkey Thread

Quote: You might consider what they are eating. How long have you had them in relation to your other birds that are hatching egg just fine? Are both groups of breeding stock feed the same feed?? Is the soil different in each of the areas they run? My oint is that there are many reasons, especially nutrition and incuation, as to why they don't hatch. Nutrition is a biggy. Hving enough oxygen enter the incubator is extremely important as well.

ANyways . . just more to think about. . . .. HOpe you find the answer.

You might consider what they are eating. How long have you had them in relation to your other birds that are hatching egg  just fine? Are both groups of breeding stock feed the same feed?? Is the soil different in each of the areas they run?  My oint is that there are many reasons, especially nutrition and incuation, as to why they don't hatch. Nutrition is a biggy. Hving enough oxygen enter the incubator is extremely important as well. 

ANyways . . just more to think about. . .  .. HOpe you find the answer. 
they all free range together. The problem is the black poults hatch fine. Its only the blue poults that aren't hatching or die soon after. All eggs out of the same hen until next month.

Have you looked t the university sites for details on hatching issues?? YOu might find a possible solution there. Just too many possibilites to list all here. Hope it helps. Genetics is always a possibity.
IMO, this may either be a lethal cross of the Black turkey breed and Blue slate (thou Black is always used to expand color genes) or just of these 2 particular birds, but the next thing i would do is see if i could find a blue Tom and see how that works out. I seriously doubt that it is an incubation issue.

Does anyone here know of a cheap hatchery for poults? They would need to have Standard bronze or Naragansett, not white or mainly white (ie Royal palms) turkeys.

Does anyone here know of a cheap hatchery for poults? They would need to have Standard bronze or Naragansett, not white or mainly white (ie Royal palms) turkeys.
i bought from porters--about 12$ each poult. This is well worth it considering he makes an effort to breed good birds and feeding is the expensive part.
wink.png

on another note---
celebrate.gif
I have eggs cooking from Jim!!!!! Narrigansetts!!!! My young toms from porters are gentlemen!

Well I have a update on the on my situation. The other black hens eggs all hatched and I now have blue slate poults alive and doing great. A couple of the other hens eggs hatched and they are a totally different color. I am now wondering if maybe she is a wild turkey instead of a black phase blue slate. All the lady had that I got her from was a slate pair but I dont know where this other color came from. The poults in question are a reddish yellow with black spots all over them.

Well I have a update on the on my situation. The other black hens eggs all hatched and I now have blue slate poults alive and doing great. A couple of the other hens eggs hatched and they are a totally different color. I am now wondering if maybe she is a wild turkey instead of a black phase blue slate. All the lady had that I got her from was a slate pair but I dont know where this other color came from. The poults in question are a reddish yellow with black spots all over them.
Have a look at POrterTurkeys.com because he lists the genetics and photos of the poults so you can compare. SOme color combos result in several different colors for the poults. He lists the possibiblities. Start with looking at the slates.

Back
Top Bottom