Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

I would mount them inside a glass case like they do with butterflies and use those small pins so you could still handle if you wanted!!!

I want to make some displays (see pages 24 through 27 of the SOP) of my Silver Campines' feathers for comparison through the years. Have any of you done this? Is there a right or wrong way to do it? My initial thought was to use spray adhesive and mount them on cardboard. I also thought of photographing each feather then storing the files in my computer and the actual feathers in zip-lock bags, but I don't want to try to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

I know that color/barring is not my first priority, but I want to be able to track the progress of the barring from my first birds through the future generations.

I don't know how to mount them, but I can tell you that once you photograph them and the pics are in digital form, there will be some error in the colors. When you take the pictures, take several and match them to the original feathers to get the best match. It sounds like a good idea.

Walt

I want to make some displays (see pages 24 through 27 of the SOP) of my Silver Campines' feathers for comparison through the years. Have any of you done this? Is there a right or wrong way to do it? My initial thought was to use spray adhesive and mount them on cardboard. I also thought of photographing each feather then storing the files in my computer and the actual feathers in zip-lock bags, but I don't want to try to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

I know that color/barring is not my first priority, but I want to be able to track the progress of the barring from my first birds through the future generations.
I was hoping FOwlman would chime in on photography color and he did.

Otherwise keep the samples in a dark place as the sun fades everything.

Great idea.

Apdeb, Don't take this personally and don't be discouraged from posting by Matt's response. He is trying to help you.
Proper terminology is very important if you want to be taken seriously by poultry breeders. I learned this quite a while back on another thread. Don't call cocks roosters or worse yet roos, do not call cockerels boys or hens and pullets girls. Call them by the names under which you will show them (Cock=C, Cockerel=K, Hen=H or Pullet=P are abbreviations for showing) or when describing them the age and sex, for example, 3 month old male or 5 year old female.

Last edited:
They will not be DQ'd because of age if they are over a year old you enter them as cocks and hens.
For some reason I thought they could be adults, but had to be about a year old... Obviously, the first show I've been to and was trying to pay attention. I've been to admire the purty feather before, but there was sure a lot going on. Managed to show up just as they were judging the Jersey Giants. Fascinating process. Tried to lurk close enough to over hear... :) So maybe it's more that people showing P/Cockerels want to try to show as close to 1yr old as they can for max effect or something?

What about having them laminated (for real, not with Contact paper)? Then keeping them in those sleeves for negatives that keep UV out?
Neat!

For some reason I thought they could be adults, but had to be about a year old... Obviously, the first show I've been to and was trying to pay attention. I've been to admire the purty feather before, but there was sure a lot going on. Managed to show up just as they were judging the Jersey Giants. Fascinating process. Tried to lurk close enough to over hear... :)  So maybe it's more that people showing P/Cockerels want to try to show as close to 1yr old as they can for max effect or something?

A lot of breeders show younger birds because ideally you're getting better birds each year and space means the old ones don't stay around. Cockerels and pullets in a lot of these "heritage" breeds, standard bred birds aren't ready to be shown seriously until 10-11 months old or so, so that's probably what you're thinking of. Heck in my first go round with my Langshans I can probably count the number of times I showed a cockerel as anything but filler at the county fair on one hand. Real chickens take time to grow and fill out to be competitive.

Quote:
Wisher1000, a reference board of feathers is a great idea. Super glue at the base of the quill should work fine. You don't want anything to mess with the feather webbing. Spray adhesive might gum up the feathers when you try to mount them.

You might consider storing the display with some mothballs in an airtight container to help deter insect damage. Bugs will chew up a feather collection faster than you can imagine. Back in the dark ages I shared an office with the university's bird collection. We had mothballs in all the cases to deter Dermestid beetles and other critters. Dermestid larvae are tiny and can get into nearly invisible cracks. They are pervasive and they are voracious. You probably have them in your house and don't know it. The museum would treat periodically with heavy-duty pesticides, but the mothballs did a pretty good job of general prevention. Mothballs are readily available. Just don't spend a lot of time breathing the fumes.

Walt's idea of photographing the feathers while they are fresh and comparing the actual feathers with the photos to get the best digital representation is a good one. Different monitors will display colors differently, so the colors that look right on one monitor may not look the same on a different monitor, but it should be fairly close. The feathers themselves may fade over time. The color of a live bird is so much more vibrant than the color of a long-dead bird preserved in a museum case. But the feather patterns should remain visible on the preserved feathers, and that is what you are hoping to document.

Go for it!

Sarah

I agree, I think laminating would be best. With a real laminator, not contact paper.

Back
Top Bottom