Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

I am going to miss most of you on this thread but I see no reason to participate on BYC any longer. I will see most of you on FB. Thank you Walt for all of your help.

Melissa Ahlers
Lazy A Ranch

Did you use the old fashioned clay kind or the newer pelleted ones? I was interested in silkies as broodies and baby sitters and then was given some that I think may be showable.... ;=)
I used the old fashioned Kitty Litter. Just make sure it is white clay if you have white birds. Put their crests up with paper tape, and give them pop bottle waterers too.Fun little toy birds. Send me some photos Mary !

I used the old fashioned Kitty Litter. Just make sure it is white clay if you have white birds. Put their crests up with paper tape, and give them pop bottle waterers too.Fun little toy birds. Send me some photos Mary !
Thanks Vickie! Going to try and get out and take some pics later today of everybody. LoL on the paper tape! I can just see them now, might have to name one of my coops the Silkie Salon!

I have that in the shed. I *think* I added it the last time I cleaned it out. I'll go ahead and do it again.
Nankins are another breed I would like to have but I have my eye on so many other breeds..... Trying not to get too many. I'm thinking three breeds tops.

Three breeds...I feel overwhelmed thinking of what it will wring out of me, just dealing with one! Ah, to be young again!

Considering one is dealing with a dual purpose Heritage Large Fowl...
What are the differences in a grow-out program when raising chicks
as roasters vs broilers? Feed, space, exercise, supplements, and?
Does one tend to raise for a period of time or to a specific weight?
Or expect a certain weight within a certain time span?
Thanks for sharing,
Karen

Last edited:
Quote: THe price of bringing my kids to the Poultry show is one is gun- ho for silver pheonix and the other silkies, in partridge. Not sure Bob would approve of their choices but perhaps it will lead to the old heritage birds.

Where do nankins fall in the "heritage" history? I am rather ignorant about the breed, but if they are tiny birds, I can't see them as heritage farm or commerical use.

THe price of bringing my kids to the Poultry show is one is gun- ho for silver pheonix and the other silkies, in partridge.  Not sure Bob would approve of their choices but perhaps it will lead to the old heritage birds. 

Where do nankins fall in the "heritage" history?  I am rather ignorant about the breed, but if they are tiny birds, I can't see them as heritage farm or commerical  use. 

Phoenix are a Heritage breed, as are Silkies though? Both meet all the definitions, they're not what most people think of but they fit the definition. Both can be a challenge to condition for show depending on your environment. Some lines of Phoenix make excellent layers even. (Protip: don't use straw with Phoenix tails, it can end up turning that beautiful tail into a tumbleweed)

Nankins were just recognized a couple years ago, so don't meet the "heritage" definitions.

The Nankin is an ancient foundation breed. Their history goes back hundreds of years (Saul Dixon). Many of today's popular bantams have Nankin in them: Sebright, Old English, Rosecomb, etc. Just because it took the APA and ABA so long to recognize them, it doesn't mean that they are some Johnny-come-lately new-fangled fad. And the Phoenix was developed in Germany since 1950 and recognized hear in I think 1965 or so.

Back
Top Bottom