heritage meat bird question

I have raised several heritage and mix birds to butcher. Mostly BO, BR, some Polish Roosters, RIR, or any cross from my mix. I try to butcher around 16-20 weeks depending on time. The polish cross produced an expected light bird, the BR/Bo produced a decent fryer. I let them rest in a cooler for 2-3 days on ice. I fry or roast most of my birds. I found that the heritage birds usually require some extra prep work (injecting, rubs, etc) but still are moist and tinder.

Here is a picture from last year. The back row of birds are somewhere between 16-20 week old. The 2 end birds are BR/BO, and the 2 in the middle are Polish. The front row is all Red Rangers (2 roosters, 2 hens).
Butchered chickens.jpg

I have raised several heritage and mix birds to butcher. Mostly BO, BR, some Polish Roosters, RIR, or any cross from my mix. I try to butcher around 16-20 weeks depending on time. The polish cross produced an expected light bird, the BR/Bo produced a decent fryer. I let them rest in a cooler for 2-3 days on ice. I fry or roast most of my birds. I found that the heritage birds usually require some extra prep work (injecting, rubs, etc) but still are moist and tinder.

Here is a picture from last year. The back row of birds are somewhere between 16-20 week old. The 2 end birds are BR/BO, and the 2 in the middle are Polish. The front row is all Red Rangers (2 roosters, 2 hens).
View attachment 2005384
Very nice looking birds. This photo makes clear why is so hard to compete with broiler hybrids if you are looking for a big, fast growing bird.

Back
Top Bottom