Heritage Meat Birds

BarredCometLaced

Songster
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
Northern NH
Are there any heritage breeds that are well suited to being meat birds? I am not interested in 'Crosses'... i want something that i can breed myself. Also, can Dark Cornish chickens reproduce naturally? http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/dark_cornish.html <- (these ones)

I heard some where that Delawares and White Rocks where good meat birds... any personal experiences to back this up?

If you know any birds that you have used for meat that are non crosses please let me know!

Hey
smile.png
Good question! There are TONS of topics on this. If you use the search feature up top and type in heritage in the search feature and change the forum section to the meaties one - you'll literally see dozens of topics about this already. It's a great question and there have been many topics about it already.... the only problem with reading them all will be if you have enough time.
big_smile.png

I'm doing my SLW roos this weekend, they are 17 weeks and huge. Heritage birds are not going to have the big full breasts like the cornishx, but these will be a very nice meal for my family, plus they are eaisy to raise and nice to look at while they are alive.

Quote:
Yep, Cornish breed natruly and are not crosses. I wouldn't get them from McMurry if you want them for meat. Go with breeders that breed their birds to the SoP, theirs will be bigger.

I heard some where that Delawares and White Rocks where good meat birds...

Both these breeds were brioler favorites before the Cornish X came along.
Mitch​

After further research i have decided with:

Golden spangled Hamburgs: white eggs

Barred Rocks: brown eggs

White Rocks: Meat

Black Copper Marans: Dark Brown Eggs

I also may have a couple Easter egg pullets mixed in for some extra color
smile.png

a GREAT Hara Meat bird is a cross froma RIR Roo and a BR hen, the hens are great egg layers and the roos come out with nice meat on them. It does take 16-20 weeks for the roos to be a good butcher size.. Other than a cross then I would do a straight cornish or a straight white rock

Back
Top Bottom