Heritage New Hampshires

Quote:
This is what the standard says:
COLOR - FEMALE
NECK: Medium chestnut red; each feather edged with brilliant chestnut red; lower neck feathers distinctly tipped with black. Front of neck -- medium chestnut red.

thanks, kath.

i really can't see that in the pics. i see a few feathers with a reddish 'V' toward the end. But then again, the standard is the ideal after all.

Also, are the wings of a NH when outspread colored with black/dark brown, sorta like a RIR wing feathers when outspread?

If you can't answer or don't have time, NP. I don't have the SOP...............

Quote:
Oh, yes they are beautiful birds, esp. if you get to see them in real time, remember this is a picture on a computer, it really doesn't do them justice as far as their colors really are.
big_smile.png
Also all computers don't show the same image as posted either/too, really.
lol.png

Here's a post from an APA judge (Mr. Walt "fowlman01"):
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6852291#p6852291

And yes the standard does describe how the perfect bird is to look and that is our goal to breed toward the standard as described in the SOP.

I see the black pearl necklaces on both pullets on this page ETA (or previous page as it takes me forty-forevers to get something typed up and posted as usual) ha, and also these girls have just gone through juvienile molt (assuming Hillbilly's girl is appox. the same age as mine, given they all were just started being doled out by Mrs. Kathy around the same time) and are working on getting their adult plummage still yet.
smile.png
They still have a few weeks still yet to come into their own, right at POL and this is when most will agree a pullet looks her best for seeing what she really is/will be as far as looks are concerned at that time.
wink.png

On your ? on the wing feathers, they do have some black in the wing feathers as you mentioned compared to the RIR ,just lighter (chestnut) red with some black mixed amongst them. I don't have the SOP either/yet
hide.gif
(shameful huh?) but have studied enough to remember NH color patterns and also just looked at my NH's and they all have some sort of black amidst their red wing feathers.

Ok till later on, bye for now

Jeff

Last edited:
very good point about the issue of getting 'true' images on a computer.

thanks. i am sure these are very high quality birds. that gold color.............sheesh!!

thank you much about the wing coloration, also. i kinda thought they might have/should have that similarity to the RIR, given their relationship.

all you nh owners, enjoy those lovelies.

KATHY, what do you use for incubating?

Last edited:
I know for sure one of my girls is starting to show the black on her neck feathers. I will try to get a pic and post it here later, after I figure which I can delete first... I am out of room
lol.png

Quote:
A Sportsman, and about 25 broodies.
lol.png

gig.gif

Yeah, I hear ya on the 25 broodies
lol.png
and I still have some currently setting and some still wanting to set still yet. I say the ones that are setting now are really insulating more than incubating have one that is down from 12 eggs to 5 'cause they have absolutly rotted while she's been sitting on them. It's hotter'n HE11
somad.gif
here, ( My aunt said you reckon its really not hotter in there than here I said nope 'cause he11 don't have "no" humidity in it its just fire), I'm gonna try to give her some of the next ones due to hatch here soon for her to foster its been crazy for me and broodies this year. I can deffinately recommend that if anybody is looking for a breed to get broodies out of and I mean consistant ones get you some Silver Phoenix or Silver Phoenix half-breeds heck i even think their broodiness rubs off onto my other just ol' regular chickens too, I swaney
barnie.gif

Jeff

The SOP does call for black tipping on the female New Hampshires but not on the males. The line of New Hampshires from Germany that these birds go back to have very little to none of the black tipping on the the neck in the females that is required and basically can't be shown because of this. The males are outstanding in color but the females don't meet the SOP.

Back
Top Bottom