Heritage New Hampshires

She was with a rooster. He wasn't the harassing kind though (honestly wish he was) I just I just need to secure the run a bit more; make it broody-escape-proof.

I like your method though!
lol.png

i must say, at the northeast poultry expo. nearby in Jan, i saw several NHs, not too many; maybe half dozen..........? anyway, i did find them nice, but all of yours seem lovelier. i am happy for 'yous guys' (and dolls!)

Quote:
ep.gif
WOW! just wowee I so love
love.gif
these orange chickens!
droolin.gif
thumbsup.gif

Have I mentioned how I just love
love.gif
those orange chickens, well? I mean, lately, have I mentioned how I just love
love.gif
those orange chickens
lol.png

Nice looking girls there Mrs. Kathy.
smile.png

Jeff

Quote:
Actually lack of black ticking is a defect and points taken off for it not a DQ so they can still be shown.

The males are off in color as well as the females.

For one thing the hackle is what old timers used to call "yellow neck" and it was not because they were right.

The ground color of the females and the breast of the males is too dark.

Remember this is to be a dual purpose breed and was at one time the premier breed for broilers so they had to dress clean.

I recommend that you go to your library and check out the APA Standard of Perfection in color and look at the pictures.

I had Dianne Jackie redo the pictures because the color was wrong.

After 30 years of breeding the New Hampshire bantams I know a little about New Hampshires.

Quote:
Actually lack of black ticking is a defect and points taken off for it not a DQ so they can still be shown.

The males are off in color as well as the females.

For one thing the hackle is what old timers used to call "yellow neck" and it was not because they were right.

The ground color of the females and the breast of the males is too dark.

Remember this is to be a dual purpose breed and was at one time the premier breed for broilers so they had to dress clean.

I recommend that you go to your library and check out the APA Standard of Perfection in color and look at the pictures.

I had Dianne Jackie redo the pictures because the color was wrong.

After 30 years of breeding the New Hampshire bantams I know a little about New Hampshires.

Thank you for weighing in on that. I thought the same thing, regarding a defect rather than "they can't be shown." But then I though maybe Matt1616 said this because he knew otherwise.

Are you saying the artist's rendition of color in the new SOP is accurate for the New Hampshire? I have the latest edition and it looks totally orange to me, with very little variation..... hardly noticeable at all actually. (Frankly, I think the pictures are awful. But, then again, I don't like any of Jackey's chicken art.) YET, the description uses many colors to describe the beautiful New Hampshire chicken:

MALE
HEAD: Plumage, Brilliant reddish bay.
NECK: Hackle-- lustrous, golden bay.
BACK: Brilliant deep chestnut red.
Saddle -- lustrous, golden bay, slightly darker than hackle.
TAIL: Main Tail -- black
Sickles -- rich, lustrous, greenish black.
Coverts -- lustrous, greenish black, edged with deep chestnut red.
Lesser Coverts -- deep chestnut red.
WINGS: Fronts -- medium chestnut red.
Bows-- brilliant deep chestnut red.
Coverts -- deep chestnut red.
Primaries -- upper web, medium red, lower web, black edged with medium red. Primary coverts, black, edged with medium red.
Secondaries -- upper web, medium chestnut red, having broad black stripe extending along shaft to within one inch of tip; lower web medium chestnut red; shaft, red.
BREAST: Medium chestnut red.
BODY AND FLUFF: Medium chestnut red.
LEGS AND TOES: Lower Thighs-- medium chestnut red.
Shanks and toes-- rich yellow tinged with reddish horn. A line of reddish pigment down sides of shanks extending to tips of toes is desirable.
UNDERCOLOR OF ALL SECTIONS: Light salmon.

FEMALE
HEAD: Plumage, medium chestnut color.
NECK: Medium chestnut red. each feather edged with brilliant chestnut red; lower neck feathers distinctly tipped with black.
Front of neck -- medium chestnut red.
BACK: Medium chestnut red.
TAIL: Main Tail -- black, edged with medium chestnut red; shaft medium chestnut red.
WINGS: Fronts, Bows, and Coverts -- medium chestnut red.
Primaries -- upper web, medium red; lower web, medium red with a narrow stripe of black extending along the shaft; shaft, medium red.
Primary Coverts -- black, edged with medium red.
Secondaries -- lower web, medium chestnut red with black marking extending along edge of shaft two-thirds its length.
BREAST: Medium chestnut red.
BODY AND FLUFF: Medium chestnut red.
LEGS AND TOES: Lower Thighs -- medium chestnut red.
Shanks and toes -- rich yellow tinged with reddish horn.
UNDERCOLOR OF ALL SECTIONS: Light salmon.

Last edited:
Folks, this is why I do alot of reading and not much posting as you can tell by my post total...I'm not very good at converting my thoughts into words on the keyboard. I guess I should have worded that a little different when said "basically can't be shown because of this". I said "basically" meaning to imply that it would make it difficult to compete with that fault but didn't mean to imply that they "definately" could not be shown. There again not very good at getting my point across.
I will say that the show world of chickens is a very confusing thing. You can talk to 10 different well respected breeders and get 10 different explanations of what a particular bird is suppose to be.
Edgar, thank you for weighing in. Your knowledge and experience is greatly appreciated. I am really just a beginner so thanks for clarifying.
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I will go back to listening and not talking, carry on....

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh, no .... please don't stop posting! Would love to have you continue with us on this thread. We all learn from each other. Many will have different opinions, but that is okay too! It is nice to have Mr. Mongold, an APA judge experienced with breeding New Hampshires, joinining us here, don't ya think?

Quote:
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I will go back to listening and not talking, carry on....

No, by all means keep on posting on here if you had not posted this info on the neck ticking then I prolly would have never even known a thing about it, don't take what anybody on here posts as an insult or getting on to you, remember we can't see each others facial expressions or tone so speak freely when the urge hits you, I do and sometimes regret something
duc.gif
most of the time I don't
lol.png

Jeff

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom