Heritage Turkey Housing

I am planning on turkeys next spring and I would love to see how you guys house your flocks. Want to build a turkey house this summer. Post some pics of your turkey houses please!

Also a couple questions. Do you have a covered run or do you clip their wings? Can you home them like guineas for a few weeks who will then free range in the day and coop up at night? Truly appreciate any insight.
Mine don't really have a "house" because turkeys are more outside birds. They are in the rain and out of the coop more than chickens. They have a roost under a ply board (which they hardly ever use) . They like to roost on the ply board at night instead of the roost lower to the ground (higher is better right) . Above the ply board about 7ft is a sheet metal roof that our horses used to go under but we turned their place into a turkey pen. Ours have a covered run with fencing at the top because we have a serious predator problem in our area. Ours can't free range so they stay in their large coop/run. Our coop is 23ft long and 15ft wide. The other area where we feed them and they have shade a nest and their roost is another 8ft by 12ft. So their coop/run is pretty large. IMO.

I would recommend Sweetgrasses they are so pretty! Right now we have a Sweetgrass tom and Bronze hens, they make beautiful poults. We had a beautiful tom that died a few months ago he was a Pheonix red?? I think? He was soooo pretty. Would definetly get more.
I got my heart pretty set on Narragansett to start.:)

No photos, but our turkeys have no interest in any sort of housing unless it's actively raining or snowing hard. They have a simple 3-sided roofed shelter they can huddle up in if the weather is gross, otherwise they are happy to strut around out in their run. I was pleasantly surprised by how hardy and cold-tolerant they are!
Cool, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom