Heritage turkey meat said to be best

Grammapat

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 21, 2014
Cook's Illustrated (Nov/Dec 2014): this popular cook book gets into the science of recipes. In a 4 page article they ordered about 15 heritage turkeys, from 6 different breeders. They tried different recipes, explaining that the long legs and smaller breast cook differently than traditional turkeys. They explained what a Heritage was, and that the slow growth (28 weeks compared to the commercial 12-14 weeks) contributed to the results; tasters said their was world away from the traditional birds-buttery, incredibly satisfying rich flavor, silky. Pricy - from $85 for a 10lb bird, to $167 for a "7 to 14" lb, the favorite, from "Mary's free range Heritage Turkey in California. The 1st and 3rd place winners were from Standard Bronze turkeys (from Frank Reese breeding stock).
MY QUESTION: are heritage CHICKENS superior in flavor to other meat birds?

I don't know about "heritage" chickens specifically but I do know that dual purpose, free range chickens are a world away from store bought. I was recently faced with a commercial chicken breast and it looked like rubber and tasted like nothing. Once you've eaten free range happy chickens, there is no going back.

Heritage chicken is stronger in flavour.
Some might think its to strong because society has been raised with the factory white.

So I'm thinking chicken, actually free-ranged, tasts better; and heritage chicken - with their slower growth and higher fat, are even more like Cook's description of heritage turkey. More flavor, richer, more complex. I wonder if restaurants know?

And what does it mean to get "an ovation"?

Last edited:
I'm in Canada and I know that the restaurants know and the public knows but regulations make it hard to get heritage or free range meat. There aren't many white meat abattoirs and there is a limit of how many birds you can raise without buying "quota" from the applicable cartel. I have people asking me for meat all the time but I can't legally sell or give them any. I'm lucky enough to live on a farm and be able to raise my own or I wouldn't have any either.

I think an Ovation is similar to a "like" on Facebook.

I don't usually buy Cooks Illustrated but I did go out and get this issue. It will come in handy in December.

Wow, and I thought the US was over-regulated! Hope you can get a heritage something - or will be raising it? The cooking process is more complicated than throwing a turkey in the oven, but I like the way they explain how they come up with recipies. I can only have 3 hen (chickens) here, so I can't raise my own to butcher; don't know what the regulations are about that, but if "they" don't know about it...

Grammapat, I am lucky enough to have a little farm so I can raise my own "happy" meat and eggs. There is a strong grassroots movement to change the laws so small farms can make a go of selling poultry and turkey. It's a little easier to market beef and pork. We don't have enough space for that but I have a few good sources nearby. These bronze turkeys are amazing creatures and it would be a shame to see them disappear. I think with articles such as the one in Cooks Illustrated, they will become more well known and the market will grow. I know in Toronto, Canada there are people paying $250 for these turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom