Heritage White Dorking Thread

Hello Yellow House Farm :)

At some point in my readings I came across a post where you mentioned holding back some broody hens to incorporate into your hatching plan. Dorkings are often cited as being historically broody; can you speak to your own personal experiences? I'm interested in anecdotal information pertaining to percentages of your flock that exhibit the trait, are allowed to brood, and their success rate (ie; sitting tight and mothering to an appropriate age) if allowed to brood.
Or perhaps another White Dorking flock owner might chime in? They seem to be few and far between, but it never hurts to ask
smile.png

Thanks,
M

Hello Yellow House Farm :)

At some point in my readings I came across a post where you mentioned holding back some broody hens to incorporate into your hatching plan. Dorkings are often cited as being historically broody; can you speak to your own personal experiences? I'm interested in anecdotal information pertaining to percentages of your flock that exhibit the trait, are allowed to brood, and their success rate (ie; sitting tight and mothering to an appropriate age) if allowed to brood.
Or perhaps another White Dorking flock owner might chime in? They seem to be few and far between, but it never hurts to ask
smile.png

Thanks,
M

found the post/thread again and answered my own question :)

I am looking forward to this up-coming season. I think we're going to move to all natural brooding. I just like it better. I like the results of hen-reared chicks. There are several difficulties with artificially brooded chicks that, I find, are reduced or totally absent with hen reared chicks. Also, the amount of money we spend monthly on brooding is criminal. On a certain--and real--level, we'll have more intense work in brooding, having to do the multiple waterers, etc.., yet well have better results in finished product as well as save hundreds and hundreds of dollars. What's great is that our emerging strai of whites are exceptional broodies. They have a nice broody temperament. They're not numb like silkies but are calmer than the OEG hens. They also cover a fair number of chicks on account of their size. Moreover, they accept adoptees willingly. It's bizarre to think that this is only a few months away.

Thanks,
M

Last edited:
Rob was out yesterday with the camera and snapped a few shots of some pullets in one fo the growing houses. They're far from done; there's really nothing that can be judged at this point, but sometimes it's fun to look at some photos.

They're definitely coming in. I like the back on the top one and the breast on the bottom one. Nice short, curved necks. Not too high on the shank. The wings are a little low yet. They seem to be a nice clean white. It will be interesting to see their balance as the tails start coming in.

Here are some pics of upcoming White Dorkings. The cockerels are from a late hatch, and the pullets are mixed age. Nothings finished, but the pictures of various age groups can help develop a feel for the birds.

Back
Top Bottom