Heritage White Dorking Thread

I've always thought the dorking was an interesting breed, what with their long history and five toes. I even considered them for my backyard flock, but they are pretty uncommon around my parts. How is their disposition?

Hi!
I did ask you the same question I posed on the
heritage thread.
I love the Black Copper Marans' meat the best . I raised BCM for the meat gourmet taste(BCM are considered gourmet breed in France.
I also was thinking about having Dorkins, because I heard a lot about the TASTE that people say considered number one in the US.
But... I am a European and for a time being noticed that european taste and american taste differ quite a bit. We like rich and "complicated" taste of meat . I do not really care about the color of carcass. How would you describe the taste of the Dorkin? and why is it praised so much here?
Thank you.

Hi!
I did ask you the same question I posed on the
heritage thread.
I love the Black Copper Marans' meat the best . I raised BCM for the meat gourmet taste(BCM are considered gourmet breed in France.
I also was thinking about having Dorkins, because I heard a lot about the TASTE that people say considered number one in the US.
But... I am a European and for a time being noticed that european taste and american taste differ quite a bit. We like rich and "complicated" taste of meat . I do not really care about the color of carcass. How would you describe the taste of the Dorkin? and why is it praised so much here?
Thank you.

We very much enjoy Dorking meat. It, too, is rich. There is nice definition between the light meat and the dark meat.

YHF - I've enjoyed seeing your pics over on the HLFT, they really are impressive birds, with or without feathers.
smile.png

Thanks!

Thanks. I have a Dorking(one hen - I had two - one died of Marek's) and so far I like what I see - great forager, smart, not mellow(sp?)(definately NOT a pet, which I like about her). Took forever to grow, but that's ok with me. About to start laying. This was my first year, so I had 4 breeds I picked to see with what I will eventually stick.

Well, we started to go preliminarily go over our last batch of White Dorking cockerels for the eason, but the good weather didn't hold. We'll just have to do it next weekend. Nevertheless, we had taken a few shots before the rains hit:

That is a nice row of roosters! If I counted right there is 25 there. How many of them will you keep for breeding ?

Back
Top Bottom