Hermaphrodite question

chickinlittles

Songster
7 Years
Jul 13, 2014
I know there is an old thread on this but I’m wondering about anyone who might have recent experience with it. I have a mixed flock of hens that are around 9 mos. All have been laying for several mos. except for Sunshine a Cream Legbar. She is at the bottom of the pecking order a lap chicken. They are all molting including sunshine and egg laying is way off . Sunshine has never layed. She never visits the laying boxes. Early on there were a few soft eggs on the roosting dropping board that I thot might have been hers but I’m not sure.yesterday while I was out sitting with my girls I noticed Sunshine is developing spurs . My other CLB Fanny has smaller ones so I thought maybe it’s a breed thing. Sunshine is a petit bird. Smaller then Fanny and all my other girls. Her comb and waddles are the same size as Fanny’ proportionally. So... if anyone has any info.on hermaphroditism I would be greatful to hear your experience. I don’t care that she doesn’t lay as she is a sweet, loving bird , my concerns are more that she be healthy and I don’t want her to start to crow. Thx!

Are you sure she's a hen and not just a slow developing rooster? I once had a pharaoh colored coturnix quail that had the male coloring, crowed like a male, and even fought with another male that laid an egg. I know that it was that quail who laid the egg because it was separated from the other quail while it healed after an injury. There's no way the egg was from another quail because it was temporarily in a wire cage.

Are you sure she's a hen and not just a slow developing rooster? I once had a pharaoh colored coturnix quail that had the male coloring, crowed like a male, and even fought with another male that laid an egg. I know that it was that quail who laid the egg because it was separated from the other quail while it healed after an injury. There's no way the egg was from another quail because it was temporarily in a wire cage.
Yes I’m 100 % sure she is not a slow developing Roo. CLB are Autosexed birds so it’s obvious in feathering patterns at hatching. She is just like her sister in development in every other way. So I’m sure that is not the case.

Ok. It's also very possible that she is a weird hen or a hermaphrodite. Usually if they're a hermaphrodite they won't be able to lay eggs but there can be a rare case like my quail.

One or two of my CLB have spurs, but they are older.
Not at all odd for any females to have spurs.
Guessing that your bird is either very slowly maturing or has a funky ovary and will never lay.
If the ovary is not functioning, lack of female hormones may allow male hormones to create male appearances and behaviors.
This is different than a true hermaphrodite.
Only time will tell.
Pics would help here.

Back
Top Bottom