Hermaphrodite?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Susan49, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Susan49

Susan49 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2013
    So we have this one odd looking barred rock....hen? And someone at our local poultry collective meeting suggested we might have a hermaphrodite.

S/he is a bit taller and kind of ganglier than the others, definitely longer thicker legs but very little development of comb and wattle. No crowing or acting like a rooster at all, but I don't think she's laying either, though recently I have seen her in one of the laying boxes on occasion.

She also roosts away from the others on her own perch, always has. I don't know if it's by choice or because the others chase her off, but I don't see any sign of mistreatment out in the yard during the day. We have 49 chickens altogether, 12 barred rock, 13 ISA brows, and 24 red rocks.

The others started laying about 3 months ago but as far as I can tell this one hasn't. Given that we have a farm and keep chickens to sell the eggs, should we be thinking about culling this one, or is there a chance she will lay?

I will try to take some pics tomorrow if that helps.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Awaiting pics.

How old is the bird?

3. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    From your description it sounds like a rooster.

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone said they had a hermaphrodite chicken! [​IMG]

4. Susan49

Oct 13, 2013
    Well I don't have a clue as I've never owned a rooster either! But wouldn't it be obvious that it was a rooster before now? I mean, wouldn't it be crowing and making a show and generally acting like a rooster? This one keeps to itself, doesn't crow, doesn't show any interest in the others, and hasn't developed a comb and wattle like the others.

These ones are about 8 months old now, and like I said, the others have been laying since mid-late July. As you might be able to tell from the pics, this odd one "rides" a bit higher than the others, is lankier in general, and has longer, thicker legs. It's also got a bit of hooked beak, though that may be completely irrelevant.

Any opinions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. dandrews1971

dandrews1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

legs are a completely different color too.

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

different color than what?

7. Susan49

Oct 13, 2013
    From the front (sorry couldn't get a photo from that angle) there is more grey to the legs, but yes in general the others have a mostly greyish tinged with yellow leg, while this one has a mostly yellow tinged with grey.

8. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Where'd you get it?

Can you get better picture of the comb?

Looks like it's mixed with some tall game.

ETA: I suspect the weird one has "normal" cockerel yellow legs--the pullet/hen legs look like they're legs are washed out from laying.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's a rooster. Yeah, there may be something wrong with him causing a delay in development cause he should be lots further along, but he's male, not both sexes. If you didn't state his age I'd put him around 3 months. I wouldn't keep him--why feed a non-productive bird? Bet he'd taste just fine.

10. Susan49

Oct 13, 2013
    Quote: Sorry, can you explain "washed out?" These girls have only been laying a couple of months. Do you mean they're working too hard? They free range and get plenty of high quality feed, oyster shell, etc. Is there something else I should be supplementing with?

Donrae, do you think there's much meat on him? He looks pretty lanky to me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by