Hernia on Day old?

Melabella

Crowing
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
Hope someone can give me some insight.

I just finished my first attempt at hatching some eggs. I have a Brinsea Mini Advance and set 7 eggs on April 9th. Only 4 made it to lockdown, and I had one hatch on Day 20, the next 2 on Day 21, and thought the last one was going to be a late death because when I went to bed last night, there was no more rocking, or any pips of any kind.

Well this morning I woke up to a newly hatched egg, on Day 22. At first all seemed well and he was laying around and slowly drying off like the others did. When he started trying to stand, he would do the usual falling over, and getting all off balance and falling over. On one time he toppled over and I noticed he had a little wound looking thing with a bit of yolk stuck to it, and some shells. Could this be a hernia or an anomaly occurred when he absorbed the yolk and it didn't close properly. He is weaker than the other chicks were at this point, and he lays down an awful lot. I have left him in the incubator, and even though he has improved and is standing more, when he does stand, his legs are very wide.

I fear tomorrow morning when I have to take him out, I can't put him in with the gas house gang that is in the brooder all ready running around as if they are getting chased by the Bulls in Pamplona. What a lively lot they are.

I also have to run out and get a heat lamp as I only have one EcoGlow at the moment.

Has any one seen this before and any suggestions as to what I could do to help the little one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
MB

Hi, I had a few chicks to hatch last weekend and there was one that seemed fine and was drinking eating and walking around until around the 2nd day it started being lethargic and wouldn't hold it's head up. So I started giving it some water and separating it from the others. I noticed there was a black scab on it's belly button where the cord was. I thought it was just the cord drying up when in all reality it was part of the intestine. It ended up dying on me a couple hours after. :( My chick's scabby wound was about twice the size of yours so maybe yours is just the cord drying up but I would keep it separated. Also if they are too cold they can be lethargic so a heat lamp as soon as possible!

Does the scab look like part of the vent or is that the vent on top of it? I can't tell from the picture if it is a prolapsed vent or a retained umbilical cord. If it's cord it would be below the vent opening. A prolapsed vent can be pushed back in , and honey or Preparation H applied to help reduce the swelling.

Does the scab look like part of the vent or is that the vent on top of it? I can't tell from the picture if it is a prolapsed vent or a retained umbilical cord. If it's cord it would be below the vent opening. A prolapsed vent can be pushed back in , and honey or Preparation H applied to help reduce the swelling.

I am thinking it is a rough navel I send a friend the picture and she said that it looks like that. She also said it can be common with late chicks. I have read up on here too maybe high temps but the other chicks were fine. I have left him in the incubator, and will take him out in the morning after I set up a second sick bay while he gets stronger. Fingers crossed!

MB

You probably already know about splay leg treatment, but here is a good how to for treating it: http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2012/04/spraddle-leg.html
Thank you for this! I took him out of the incubator this morning, I had to run out and get a heat lamp. He is fully standing on his own, albeit a bit wobbly. His legs are just wide apart. I think he would benefit from this to bring them in a bit. He isn't eating or drinking tho, but is standing, chirping away. I am hoping he finally finds the water and food.. Perhaps his wide legs are preventing him from lowering his head to peck around. I better get his little hobble on ASAP

THnk you,
MB

Also a non-slip flooring would help him get his footing. Here is another link for you: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
I think his wide legs are the least of his problems. He actually got stronger all day and is standing on his own and walking around. There is something not quite right with this little one. His body shape is different,, and he stands almost straight up almost like he is looking up out of the brooder. He has made no attempt at pecking around for the crumble that is out, or even after I have dipped his beak in the water, he has not taken a sip of water, at least that I have observed. Today when I got home from all the running around I had to do, I put the mildest chick from the hatch in there with him. I thought he would observe the other chicks behavior and start to mimic him. Nothing. They didn't even really sleep near each other. Poor little thing is breaking my heart. I just now noticed that since there is a brooder light in there, the chicks are all a bit more active than when it is dark, (the others have the EcoGlow). I noticed the chick that I have put in there with him to keep him company was just pecking away at him. Not the usual chick stuff, just going up to him and pecking and pecking. He has one little wing that looks like it's been picked bare with no fuzz on it, and it's sticking out a bit. I couldn't bare to watch that, so I put the "friend" back with the others for the night, I am afraid if he doesn't start to eat and drink by tomorrow, he won't be here much longer. I wish I could post a video here. I could tape him with my phone.

I wish I could help him some more.
MB

I would try to hold him and dip his beak just a little but not so much so that will make it drown in water this usually will make them drink
Some. Also has it pooped or anything being that its alone now you may can tell if it has or hasnt.

This was my chicks belly button scab i too thought mine had the leg problem so all i had was a bandaid to keep its legs together anyway i had to hold it to get it to drink. Mine eventually died due to it was the intestine popping out.....it wasnt using the bathroom either you may want to check for that.

Back
Top Bottom