He's comin' around.... finally

Tomhusker

Songster
10 Years
May 28, 2010
Carson, Iowa
We have had our 10 BR chicks for a couple of weeks now. They were a couple weeks old when we got them and were kept in brooder cages with a large group of chicks. They were no acclimated to human contact at all and have pretty much done what ever they have had to do to avoid me when I get close to them. Every day I bring them treats, and I sit in the door of the coop in the evening at lock up for a long time.
One of the chicks is a Roo I named Dave. I have taken a liking to this fellow because of his demeanor and I talk specifically to him when I am watching them eat the treats. Last night while sitting in at the coop door, Dave worked his way over to me. He did not move away from me when I reached out for him. I picked him up, which he was not real fond of, so I put him back down. He did not move away though, and allowed me to pet him on the back and head.
He continued to hang around me until I turned out the light and bid them all a good night. I hope that once I get rid of the rest of the roo's (there are three more) he will relax a bit more.

That's really cool. It's funny how, in every batch of chicks I've gotten so far, there are a few that are very shy, and some that are really friendly......keep up the good work...sounds like you're winning him over.

Pick him up again and hold on to him until he calms down...Then pet and talk to him. You will have a friend for life.
Mine will even fall asleep in my lap and almost snore. (he is two years old now)

Awesome!!!
celebrate.gif

All are roo's are big sissys, they run and scream like little girls
gig.gif

Big Red's Mom :

Pick him up again and hold on to him until he calms down...Then pet and talk to him. You will have a friend for life.
Mine will even fall asleep in my lap and almost snore. (he is two years old now)

I want to do that, but it's so darn hot here and I am afraid he'll overheat while panicking.​

Back
Top Bottom