Heterochromia? Two Different Colored Eyes?

Aug 20, 2017
I have a chicken with a case of Heterochromia. She has two different colored eyes. The left is a light grey. The right eye is a normal orange. I wanted to ask a question about Heterochromia.
If a chicken has it. Can it pass it down to its children? I have a project that I do to a group of chickens. They are called “The Royal Family” because their grandmother was my favorite chicken and I wanted her bloodline to continue as long as possible. I want to introduce a different type of chicken or condition every time to see the outcome.

Sounds more like ocular Mareks. It’s a less dangerous form of Mareks that causes one or both eyes to turn grey and the pupil to become irregular. It’s fairly safe, other than possibly causing blindness, but is not hereditary.
Here is a slightly disturbing image of two eyes, one that doesn’t display it, one that does display it:
upload_2019-12-18_17-25-5.jpeg

What should I do? Is it dangerous?
It causes blindness, but in the chicken I owned that had it, she didn't appear to be affected. However, some of the young birds in my flock had to be culled for the neurological form of Mareks. Not sure if the cases were related or coincidential.

Back
Top Bottom