Heterochromia? Two Different Colored Eyes?

Please don't take it too terribly hard, @MasterOfAllChickens111 . :hugs I understand the very mention of Marek's is enough to strike fear into every poultry owner's heart.....but the prognosis is not always as serious as we might imagine. My own flock has been infected with ocular Marek's for a couple years now, with little to no adverse affects. It caused both eyes to turn blue in one instance, while another currently has a green eye and an orange eye. Some even experience a growth in pupil size. So far, no blindness has been developed.

And, yes, I've continued to add to my flock in spite of it. No, the new additions haven't been vaccinated. Ultimately, the vaccine won't prevent Marek's from being contracted. It's only capable of reducing symptoms....though I haven't noted a significant difference between vaccinated and unvaccinated birds.

I'm hopeful you will feel somewhat encouraged, OP. :)

~Alex

Last edited:
Please don't take it too terribly hard, @MasterOfAllChickens111 . :hugs I understand the very mention of Marek's is enough to strike fear into every poultry owner's heart.....but the prognosis is not always as serious as we might imagine. My own flock has been infected with ocular Marek's for a couple years now, with little to no adverse affects. :) It caused both eyes to turn blue in one instance, while another currently has a green eye and an orange eye. Some even experience a growth in pupil size. So far, no blindness has been developed.

I'm hopeful you will feel somewhat encouraged, OP.

~Alex

Yes, your post has very much calmed me. I was very worried that all my chickens would just die from a disease that would cause pain to them. I only have two little chicks that haven’t been exposed to her. They are brother and sister. I also have their mother that hasnt been exposed. So, I’ll probably move them across the yard. So, they won’t be exposed and have a safe life.

Yes, your post has very much calmed me. I was very worried that all my chickens would just die from a disease that would cause pain to them. I only have two little chicks that haven’t been exposed to her. They are brother and sister. I also have their mother that hasnt been exposed. So, I’ll probably move them across the yard. So, they won’t be exposed and have a safe life.
I'm very grateful. :) If you look back at my original post, I've edited it to add a couple more comments.

Your birds will likely still live happy, fulfilled lives (possibly long ones, too!) in spite of it. Mine have. :hugs

Sadly, Marek's is highly contagious, and can even be transferred through dander (which is easily carried over via skin, clothes, and hair). It's highly likely any birds that enter or reside on your property will be infected from now on.

~Alex

Yes, my aunt and uncle chickens are with my chickens which are the chickens that are exposed. I don’t really see them a lot because I have to take care of the two babies. So, I don’t think the babies and the mother were exposed to any chance. I just want the chickens that are my babies.

Sorry, these chickens are my pride and joy. Story: I had this one chickens that was a OEGB Bantam. My mother gave her to me and a week later my mother died. So, I’m trying to keep that Chickens bloodline going without dying out. So, I’m going to move them away from the situation and be very careful. The OEGB Bantam name was Alice and she was a year old when she died of Osteoporosis.

Thank you so much. You’re absolutely the sweetest person ever. I’m very thankful that you came across my post. I hope your flock continues in wonderful happiness and yours too.

Thank you so much. You’re absolutely the sweetest person ever. I’m very thankful that you came across my post. I hope your flock continues in wonderful happiness and yours too.
You're more than welcome, and in turn, thank you so much for the wonderful compliment. :hugs It truly means the world! :)

I'm also very happy I stumbled across this thread, as I know what it's like to be in your shoes. When first informed that one of my OEGB girls had contracted ocular Marek's, it was very difficult to remain positive. However, as time has gone by, I realize the high quality of life my babies continue to live. Because of this, my job is to provide hope for those in similar situations. :)

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom