Heterozygous buff in my Gander?

The Prairie

Songster
Oct 14, 2018
I let my grey Toulouse geese hatch their own clutch this year, my first goslings! My pair come from different homes, but were supposed to both be Toulouse. To my surprise two of the 6 are colored differently and after some research they appear to be Buff and because if the cross they should be females. I'm considering keeping these two and breeding back for more buffs but want to be sure I'm correct.
Buff is Z linked, so my gander must be the carrier and be heterozygous, meaning that only females would be buff in my current clutch and the others should be both Male and female with males possible heterozygous like their sire?
Then crossing back I should now be able to produce Buff ganders and geese as well as greys with and without buff? The sexlinking is where it gets confusing lol do I have this right?

Attachments

• 20210514_205805.jpg
    20210514_205805.jpg
    705.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20201024_111613.jpg
    20201024_111613.jpg
    621.6 KB · Views: 14
Congrats on the adorable babies and fun surprise! It's very lucky that you hatched two buff girls in single clutch!

Grey males carry the buff gene. If bred to grey female, you get 25% buff female, 25% grey female and 50% grey males with buff gene.

A grey male with buff gene bred to a buff female will give you 50/50 buff and grey, both male and female.

My favorite cross is breeding a buff male to grey female, as you then get color sexed goslings with buff females and grey males.

Congrats on the adorable babies and fun surprise! It's very lucky that you hatched two buff girls in single clutch!

Grey males carry the buff gene. If bred to grey female, you get 25% buff female, 25% grey female and 50% grey males with buff gene.

A grey male with buff gene bred to a buff female will give you 50/50 buff and grey, both male and female.

My favorite cross is breeding a buff male to grey female, as you then get color sexed goslings with buff females and grey males.
👆

Excellent that's what I'm hoping in the future to do but they're hard to find around here at all so hoping to build from my current flock and also just because I love my birds. Thinking breed the females back to sire then hopefully pick up a buff male from that crossing and keep it to start a buff females program on one side, add some new grey females for that boy. This is exciting! I have my pair for total fun and they're my favorite birds but never expected this to come out! How cool!

Back
Top Bottom