Hey all I’m back, with a sick birdy :’(

Wicked Storm

Songster
Aug 10, 2019
Hey all I’m back after several months, forgot my password and finally remembered it:p
Anyways, I’ve got a youngster who was brought to me by somebody who could no longer care for it, he’s had a popcorn sound to his breathing and he’s been coughing for a couple days. I put him on an antibiotic and also a dose of ivermectin with no avail. A rehabber in my area said it looked like gape worm, but he hasn’t lost appetite and so far the ivermectin hasn’t done anything, and that was two days ago. If anybody has any possibilities let me know! His gullet is also a little swollen.

It sounds like crackly breathing called rales. That and the cough could be a respiratory disease such as MG (mycoplasma.) It is contagious to other poultry and can pass vertically through hatching eggs. Hopefully, you have kept her away from your others in quarantine. If you have other chickens or poultry that disease can make carriers of your whole flock. Symptoms may come back later during periods of stress. What antibiotic are you giving, how much and how often? Gapeworm is rare. The best treatment for gapes is SafeGuard liquid, horse paste, or Panacur given 5 days in a row 1/4 ml per pound. Here is reading about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

It sounds like crackly breathing called rales. That and the cough could be a respiratory disease such as MG (mycoplasma.) It is contagious to other poultry and can pass vertically through hatching eggs. Hopefully, you have kept her away from your others in quarantine. If you have other chickens or poultry that disease can make carriers of your whole flock. Symptoms may come back later during periods of stress. What antibiotic are you giving, how much and how often? Gapeworm is rare. The best treatment for gapes is SafeGuard liquid, horse paste, or Panacur given 5 days in a row 1/4 ml per pound. Here is reading about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/publications/FS-1008 Recognizing and Preventing Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf
Thank you!! I’ve got somebody bringing me panacur, in my area gape is more common than the rest I guess, in my rehabilitation place I get a few gapes. This guy has been by himself with me, the antibiotic I tried with him was tylan 50 (injectable but given orally), it’s always been a good one with me, but no luck. I gave him a few drops (he’s very small) twice a day for two days. I saw no relief and tried ivermectin. We don’t have vets in my area either.

Hey all I’m back after several months, forgot my password and finally remembered it:p
Anyways, I’ve got a youngster who was brought to me by somebody who could no longer care for it, he’s had a popcorn sound to his breathing and he’s been coughing for a couple days. I put him on an antibiotic and also a dose of ivermectin with no avail. A rehabber in my area said it looked like gape worm, but he hasn’t lost appetite and so far the ivermectin hasn’t done anything, and that was two days ago. If anybody has any possibilities let me know! His gullet is also a little swollen.
Mycoplasma is also common around here so that’s definitely a possibility.

Many chickens with MG will have bubbles or foam in their eye, and can have swelling of the eyelids or face. Sinus infection is the reason.
That’s the thing, he doesn’t have those either. He seems completely healthy besides that respiratory issue. And that’s why I’m confused. Then again, I only specialize in neurological diseases instead of common ones so when I get ones like this I’m a little unsure of what to do:(

Back
Top Bottom