Hey, BYC members! I'm new, I'm Cajun and just about ready to become a chicken lover!

Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock, glad you joined us. I have a feeling you are going to have some really "spicy" chickens. What flavor oops
gig.gif
I mean breed, are you getting?

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Well I prefer Popeye's Spicy over KFC, LOL. My husband wants Leghorns, I like Plymouth Rock and grandson wants EE. Since I'm new to this hobby, I'm open to any suggestions. I''ll start with 6 chicks.

Well I prefer Popeye's Spicy over KFC, LOL. My husband wants Leghorns, I like Plymouth Rock and grandson wants EE. Since I'm new to this hobby, I'm open to any suggestions. I''ll start with 6 chicks.

X2 on Popeyes over KFC. :eek:) I've had all of those at one time or another over the years, and Leghorns (especially the Whites) are egg laying machines (6-7 large white eggs per hen per week); just be aware that they can be high strung and flighty. Mine screamed bloody murder whenever I handled them (not a good children's chicken). Plymouth Rocks are a very hardy, rugged, dependable breed that is generally docile and lays 3-4 large, brown eggs per hen per week. Easter Eggers are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorite breed. She loves their colored eggs. I would also highly recommend Black Sex Links and Australorps. I've raised both of them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids) and they are outstanding birds. Black Sex Links (Black Stars) are hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. They have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. They are especially persistent layers in really cold weather (which is where they've gained an advantage on the Leghorns). Australorps are extremely hardy in both heat and cold, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of them), and excellent layers (5-6 eggs per hen per week) of large, brown eggs. Whatever breeds or hybrids you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

Thanks for the great advice Michael OShay. I've researched the Black Star and Australorps and agree that those are wise choices. The Leghorns are a sentimental choice for my husband. He's told me horrifying stories, one of which is particularly interesting. His older sister (who was a child at the time), once killed 20 Leghorns because they scared the other kids. Imagine the parents surprise when they found the birds in the well. I think I'll take your advice on my selection and look forward to an abundance of eggs!

Thanks for the great advice Michael OShay. I've researched the Black Star and Australorps and agree that those are wise choices. The Leghorns are a sentimental choice for my husband. He's told me horrifying stories, one of which is particularly interesting. His older sister (who was a child at the time), once killed 20 Leghorns because they scared the other kids. Imagine the parents surprise when they found the birds in the well. I think I'll take your advice on my selection and look forward to an abundance of eggs!

You're welcome.

Back
Top Bottom